[a] pizza, [some] pasta, [some] chicken, and [some] fish.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
pizza-junk-food-600.jpg 940x465.jpg Screen-Shot-2015-05-27-at-6.38.06-PM-450x297.png Popeyes-Brings-Back-Hushpuppy-Butterfly-Shrimp-For-2016-678x381.jpg

Hi teachers.
The pictures above are on the same page., If I ask "What types of food do you see on the page?"; which answer is the correct one?
a) Pizza, pasta, chicken and fish.
b) A pizza, some pasta, some chicken, and some fish.

Thanks in advance.

• Truffula

English - USA
    Neither is correct. The last picture shows shrimp, not fish (in English, "fish" usually means only vertebrate fish). The second picture, while technically possibly could be called pasta, since it's not Italian style would probably be called "noodles" instead.

Either of your formats is grammatically acceptable.

I'd say either

a) Pizza, noodles, fried chicken with side items, and fried shrimp
    b) A pizza, some noodle cups, a KFC chicken dinner, and some fried shrimp.

Other formations are possible, such as:
    c) Pizza, instant noodles, chicken, slaw, mashed potatoes, french fries, shrimp

You get the idea....

If you actually want the answers to be pizza, pasta, chicken, fish, I'll give you some alternate pictures. Your pizza picture is fine.

Here is a pasta picture:

Here is a chicken picture without the side items:

Here is a fish picture:

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    "Pizza" is a type of food ("Italian" might also be considered a type of food.). "A pizza" is not a type of food. "Fried chicken" is a type of food. "Some chicken" is not a type of food.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Neither is correct. The last picture shows shrimp, not fish (in English, "fish" usually means only vertebrate fish). The second picture, while technically possibly could be called pasta, since it's not Italian style would probably be called "noodles" instead.

Either of your formats is grammatically acceptable.

I'd say either

a) Pizza, noodles, fried chicken with side items, and fried shrimp
    b) A pizza, some noodle cups, a KFC chicken dinner, and some fried shrimp.

Other formations are possible, such as:
    c) Pizza, instant noodles, chicken, slaw, mashed potatoes, french fries, shrimp

You get the idea....

If you actually want the answers to be pizza, pasta, chicken, fish, I'll give you some alternate pictures. Your pizza picture is fine.
    Hi Truffula.
    Thank you so much for your comments and pictures. Crystal clear now. :thumbsup:

TL

Truffula

English - USA
    Another possible answer, since Myridon points out the term "type" - is "unhealthy" or "fast food" since you've got pizza, instant noodles, and two kinds of fried food...

But I think that, while I agree with Myridon about what is and isn't a type of food, that when the question is phrased that way, the articles don't make the answer incorrect.

If someone asked "What type of dog is that?" and showed a picture of a large curly dog like this one:

And you answered "That's a poodle," I don't think your answer would be wrong.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Another possible answer, since Myridon points out the term "type" - is "unhealthy" or "fast food" since you've got pizza, instant noodles, and two kinds of fried food...

But I think that, while I agree with Myridon about what is and isn't a type of food, that when the question is phrased that way, the articles don't make the answer incorrect.
    Thanks once again.
    The audio says "But these days is possible to find fast-food chains specializing in many other types of food, such as pizza, pasta, chicken or fish."
    I just wanted to use pictures to illustrate that part of the sentence along with this one before them.
    I do believe that the ones you have attached are a lot better and clearer.

Fast food chains 2.jpg

TL

wolfbm1

Polish
    What's your favourite food?
    1. My favourite food is pizza.
    2. My favourite food is a pizza.

Sentence 1 is correct because when we talk about types of food we do not have to use articles.
    Could I use sentence 2 as an answer to that question?

snargleplax

English - Northwestern United States
    If you mention an entire pizza, it's "a pizza." If you refer to an unspecified quantity of pizza, it's "some pizza." Count vs. noncount.

Glenfarclas

English (American)
    What's your favourite food?
    1. My favourite food is pizza.
    2. My favourite food is a pizza.

Sentence 1 is correct because when we talk about types of food we do not have to use articles.
    Could I use sentence 2 as an answer to that question?
    No, because "a pizza" is an object, not a kind of food.

snargleplax

English - Northwestern United States
    "My favorite food is a pizza" doesn't work, in my opinion. "Food" here refers not to a food item, but a category of food items. A pizza is not the category "pizza."

wolfbm1

Polish
    Thank you. I guess "pizza" as a category of food is uncountable and as such it does not need an indefinite article. I think I could compare it to "coffee." Coffee is a category of drinks and is also uncountable. So:
    My favourite food is pizza. I like pizza.
    My favourite drink is coffee. I like coffee.

Mercedes is a category of cars:
    My favourite car is Mercedes. I like Mercedes.

sound shift

English - England
    Mercedes is a category of cars:
    My favourite car is Mercedes. I like Mercedes.
    We wouldn't say that, because your favourite car is a particular car or a particular model, and Mercedes is neither of those.

Mike's Jaguar is my favourite car.:tick: (particular car)
    My favourite car is the Mercedes A180.:tick: (particular model)
    Mercedes is my favourite make / brand of car.:tick:

wolfbm1

Polish
    We wouldn't say that, because your favourite car is a particular car or a particular model, and Mercedes is neither of those.

Mike's Jaguar is my favourite car.:tick: (particular car)
    My favourite car is the Mercedes A180.:tick: (particular model)
    Mercedes is my favourite make / brand of car.:tick:
    Thank you, sound shift.
    Mercedes is my favourite type of car.
    What car is in the picture? ~It's a Mercedes.
    Pizza is my favourite food.
    What food is in the picture? ~It's a pizza.

Truffula

English - USA
    A native speaker would probably not say "What car is in the picture?" or "What food is in the picture?" as part of a natural conversation. Those are possible sentences, but they sound artificial and, to me at least, as though they are part of a psychological exam administered to young children with a written script written by someone who is not a very good writer (though probably a native speaker, because many native speakers generate sentences in written documentation that they would not ever generate in conversation, hence the badly written dialogue in many fanfictions by native speakers...)

Instead, we'd say something like:

"What kind of car is that in the picture?"

"What is that food in the picture?"

wolfbm1

Polish
    A native speaker would probably not say "What car is in the picture?" or "What food is in the picture?" as part of a natural conversation. Those are possible sentences, but they sound artificial and, to me at least, as though they are part of a psychological exam administered to young children with a written script written by someone who is not a very good writer (though probably a native speaker, because many native speakers generate sentences in written documentation that they would not ever generate in conversation, hence the badly written dialogue in many fanfictions by native speakers...)

Instead, we'd say something like:

"What kind of car is that in the picture?"

"What is that food in the picture?"
    Thank you, Truffla.
    "What is that food in the picture?" ~It's a pizza.

< Previous | Next >