a place within a factory were you repair everything?

< Previous | Next >

bernar3

Spanish, Spain
Hello:

I would like to know how you called in English a place within a factory were you repair everything broken in the factory, I mean, if a valve brakes, you repair it there, if a pump does not work, you repair it there.

Thanks

• bernar3

Spanish, Spain
    But a shop is a different business, isn't it?

I mean the place is like a department in the factory and if you repair things there is cheaper than if you send things to a external company to repair them.

thanks

sdgraham

USA English

I mean the place is like a department in the factory and if you repair things there is cheaper than if you send things to a external company to repair them.

thanks
    "shop" has different meanings and nuances and is appropriate to the question you asked in that it means "a place where things are worked on."

For example, I have a building on my farm I call my "shop." It's where I have my tools and fix things that are broken.

Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English

thanks
    Shop here is really being used as a diminutive version of "Workshop". That is the word I think you seek. Properly used, shop in this context should be qualified by a trade i.e. Carpenter's shop, Metal Worker's shop. In general usage many people ignore this since the craft of the shop is known or seen as a given.

daviesri

USA English
    I have worked in several industrial type jobs and things were always repaired at the "shop". I have never heard the term "workshop" used but that may be an AE vs BE thing.

Joobs

Banned
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    I have worked in several industrial type jobs and things were always repaired at the "shop". I have never heard the term "workshop" used but that may be an AE vs BE thing.
    Quite, you lot do like to simplify things. :)

One of the main reasons why "Shop" as a substitute for "Workshop" never caught on here is that we were already using "shop" for what you would call "store" (in the retail sense). However, since the original poster is in Spain I think it's more likely that he'll encounter/need the BE word than AE variant.

HistofEng

USA Eng, Haitian-Creole
    Quite, you lot do like to simplify things. :)

One of the main reasons why "Shop" as a substitute for "Workshop" never caught on here is that we were already using "shop" for what you would call "store" (in the retail sense). However, since the original poster is in Spain I think it's more likely that he'll encounter/need the BE word than AE variant.

'Shop' can mean both in AE. There are many words in the English language that have multiple, related meanings, why whould 'shop' be any different?

A workshop in AE is more of a place where crafts are created or manufactured:

http://mw1.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/workshop
    Main Entry: work·shop
    Pronunciation: \-ˌshäp\
    Function: noun
    Date: 1562
    1 : a small establishment where manufacturing or handicrafts are carried on
    2 : workroom
    3 : a usually brief intensive educational program for a relatively small group of people that focuses especially on techniques and skills in a particular field

I don't think we generally use it for a place one would get their car maintenance.

< Previous | Next >