a place you go to to sing a song with Karaoke

Discussion in 'English Only' started by CIVISMUNDI, Mar 26, 2010.

1. CIVISMUNDI Senior Member

Seoul, capital city of Sth Korea
    Korean(Sth Korean accent)
    How do you say 'a shop specialized in Karaoke, a place you go to to sing a song with karaoke ? Just 'Karaoke' will do ?
    (I usually go to ???? to sing a song with my friends)

2. Nucleara

Nucleara Senior Member

Is the 'Karaoke bar' okay?
    :D

3. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    I think they are most often called karaoke bars, but it very much depends as there is a wide range of establishments of different types that offer karaoke. It might be a bar, a pub, a lounge, etc. It might (as is often the case in the UK) a "karaoke night" (go to a karaoke night), which is where a pub or club puts on karaoke for just one night, perhaps weekly or monthly, etc.

The choice will be determined by the circumstances, therefore. I'm not sure that "going to karaoke" will do, put it is possible, I suppose. Perhaps others will have opinions on that.

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    I would say "I'm going to a karaoke" + whatever the place might be -- as the mole listed.

Note that karaoke machines are readily available for people holding karaoke parties at home as well.

"I'm going to karaoke" (note lower case, it's not a proper noun in English) might mean something specific in Japan, but such is not the case in the U.S. where it would be inadequate without further information)

5. mathman Senior Member

near boston
    English-American/New England
    You could also say "I'm going to a karaoke place." (AE)