1. BuddingSomething New Member

English-American
    Hello,

How would I say, "It was a pleasure to meet you" to two people?

"C'était un plaisir de faire votre connaissance", or should I use "vos connaissances"?

Thank you!

2. thbruxelles Senior Member

French - France
    C'était un plaisir de faire votre connaissance is quite correct. (not 'vos connaissances').
    You could use: 'J'ai eu plaisir à vous rencontrer' (faire connaissance implies that you talked a lot, rencontrer could just mean you exchanged a few words)

3. BuddingSomething New Member

English-American
    Thank you very much!

The difference in nuance between "faire la connaissance" and "rencontrer" would explain why the French couple that I met kept trying to say in English "It was nice to know you".

4. Niamorh Member

Paris
    France
    It is also correct to say "C'était un plaisir de vous rencontrer." but I prefer the former even though both means exactly the same thing.
    "Enchanté d'avoir fait votre connaissance." is very common too.

5. G M C Banned

American English
    I met a Belgian earlier today. We exchanged more than just a few words; we introduced ourselves and spoke about our fields of study and how many languages we knew. We also chatted a little bit about the linguistic situation in Belgium. Now I wish to send him an e-mail. Should I begin it thus?

[...] C'était un plaisir de faire votre connaissance cet après-midi.

Or should I write "C'était un plaisir de vous rencontrer cet après-midi."?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2019
  6. JClaudeK

JClaudeK Senior Member

Paris
    Français France; Deutsch (SW-Dtl.)
    The former would be better, IMO.

7. Bezoard Senior Member

French - France
    Les deux sont possibles. Pour ma part, j'écrirais de manière plus "personnelle" : J'étais (ou j'ai été ) très heureux de faire votre connaissance cet après-midi.

8. G M C Banned

American English
    Merci beaucoup !

9. m bell Member

English - UK
    Would there be any difference between j'étais and j'ai été?