a pleasure to meet you

BuddingSomething

English-American
Hello,

How would I say, "It was a pleasure to meet you" to two people?

"C'était un plaisir de faire votre connaissance", or should I use "vos connaissances"?

Thank you!

• thbruxelles

French - France
    C'était un plaisir de faire votre connaissance is quite correct. (not 'vos connaissances').
    You could use: 'J'ai eu plaisir à vous rencontrer' (faire connaissance implies that you talked a lot, rencontrer could just mean you exchanged a few words)

BuddingSomething

English-American
    Thank you very much!

The difference in nuance between "faire la connaissance" and "rencontrer" would explain why the French couple that I met kept trying to say in English "It was nice to know you".

Niamorh

France
    It is also correct to say "C'était un plaisir de vous rencontrer." but I prefer the former even though both means exactly the same thing.
    "Enchanté d'avoir fait votre connaissance." is very common too.

G M C

Banned
    American English
    I met a Belgian earlier today. We exchanged more than just a few words; we introduced ourselves and spoke about our fields of study and how many languages we knew. We also chatted a little bit about the linguistic situation in Belgium. Now I wish to send him an e-mail. Should I begin it thus?

[...] C'était un plaisir de faire votre connaissance cet après-midi.

Or should I write "C'était un plaisir de vous rencontrer cet après-midi."?

Last edited by a moderator:

Bezoard

French - France
    Les deux sont possibles. Pour ma part, j'écrirais de manière plus "personnelle" : J'étais (ou j'ai été ) très heureux de faire votre connaissance cet après-midi.

m bell

Banned
    English - UK
    Les deux sont possibles. Pour ma part, j'écrirais de manière plus "personnelle" : J'étais (ou j'ai été ) très heureux de faire votre connaissance cet après-midi.
    Would there be any difference between j'étais and j'ai été?

< Previous | Next >