a plenty of [plenty of]

< Previous | Next >
  • Anathulia

Trinidad and Tobago - english
    It is not correct English to say 'a plenty of'. When using the word 'plenty' you do not use an article, however you can say as an example, 'there is plenty of noise'. In this example the word plenty is used to represent 'a lot of' or 'lots of'. You cannot say 'there is a plenty of noise'.

Last edited by a moderator:

morning angel

honduras-spanish
    Well, sometimes I say I have plenty of time, or I have plenty of something.

Last edited by a moderator:

tetulio5

Spanish-España
    Hi,

Do we use "Plenty of" uncontables nouns for? For example:

" We can use plenty of milk and cheese" but if we say " We might buy many/ a lot of/ a few bottles of milk and plenty/a little/a bit/a lot of of cheese "

Is it ok?

cheers

donbeto

Eng (Canada)
    Hi,

Do we use "Plenty of" uncontables nouns for? For example:

" We can use plenty of milk and cheese:tick:" but if we say " We might buy many:tick:/ a lot of:cross:/ a few:tick: bottles of milk and plenty:tick:/a little:tick:/a bit:tick:/a lot:tick: of of cheese "

Is it ok?

cheers
    En resumen:

Many/a few bottles of milk. También a lot of milk, pero "a lot of bottles of milk" suena raro. "Lots of milk" también sirve.

"Plenty of"/"a little"/"a bit"/"a lot of" cheese. También "a little bit of cheese" y "lots of cheese".

"Lots of" es on poquito más informal que "a lot of".

"A whole lot of" es algo más enfatico.

Nota que "a lot" es dos palabras. Muy bien. Mucha gente la escribe erróneamente como una palabra.

Al fin, a propósito, "quite a bit" es igual a "quite a lot". Suena raro, pero es cierto.

The Newt

English - US
    [...] También a lot of milk, pero "a lot of bottles of milk" suena raro. "Lots of milk" también sirve.[...]
    I agree but I'm not sure there's a general rule there. "A lot of people / a lot of accidents / a lot of dogs" etc. all sound fine. Maybe "a lot of bottles of milk" sounds odd because "a lot of milk" is just simpler.

bwuw

Spanish (Spain) and Catalan
    Hi,
    How about using "plenty" without "of"? Like this:

A party with plenty food.

Should we always use "plenty of"?
    Thanks,

B

tetulio5

Spanish-España
    En resumen:

Many/a few bottles of milk. También a lot of milk, pero "a lot of bottles of milk" suena raro. "Lots of milk" también sirve.

"Plenty of"/"a little"/"a bit"/"a lot of" cheese. También "a little bit of cheese" y "lots of cheese".

"Lots of" es on poquito más informal que "a lot of".

"A whole lot of" es algo más enfatico.

Nota que "a lot" es dos palabras. Muy bien. Mucha gente la escribe erróneamente como una palabra.

Al fin, a propósito, "quite a bit" es igual a "quite a lot". Suena raro, pero es cierto.
    " A little bit of cheese" no lo he estudiado. Me sonaría rarísima su traducción " A un poquito poco de queso", ¿sería algo así como " Un poquito o un trozito...." " Quite a bite" or " Quite a lot"; no podría distinguir la diferencia ( hablando en términos de cantidades) entre esas dos y " a bit of" and " a lot of". ¿ Cómo sería la diferencia entre " quite a bit" y " a bit of" ?

Thanks in advance

< Previous | Next >