a 'plethora' of people [pejorative?]

7rojo

Mexican Spanish
Does plethora have a pejorative sense?
How does this sound to you:

A plethora of people would feel honored to be given the opportunity to work for the UN.

• joyleen

Estados Unidos, inglés
    I wouldn't say pejorative, but perhaps it sounds a little tongue in cheek. "Plethora" has been used below its register in popular discourse in the last 20 years or so and now just always seems to be a bit of a wink.

7rojo

Mexican Spanish
    Hahaha!!!
    thank you Joyleen.
    And tell me, isn't it also a bit redundant? Shouldn't just be People would be honored...

Vaskez

Hungarian, English (UK)
    not at all pejorative, it's completely neutral.

Tongue in cheek? Nah...maybe in everyday convos, but in academic and technical writing it's used completely seriously. A plethora of solutions have been proposed for this problem etc.

just means a large variety of, many etc.

joyleen

Estados Unidos, inglés
    I think both can work. One can be honored in the eyes of the public and yet not feel so. Conversely, one can feel honored though no one intended to honor them.

It seems in your original sentence that the circumstance of being given the opportunity to work for the UN is a supposition. Is the intention to extend the conjecture to include the state of mind of the person asked to work for the UN?

7rojo

Mexican Spanish
    I think both can work. One can be honored in the eyes of the public and yet not feel so. Conversely, one can feel honored though no one intended to honor them.

It seems in your original sentence that the circumstance of being given the opportunity to work for the UN is a supposition. Is the intention to extend the conjecture to include the state of mind of the person asked to work for the UN?

No, not at all. Here's the full idea:

A plethora of people would feel honored to be given the opportunity to work for the UN. However, few people are aware of the true significance behind the UN.

I think BE might work better then.

< Previous | Next >