A poetic collocation for ‘fate’

mobin68

Persian
Hi everyone,

Does anybody know a poetic or literary way of saying “ I am heading towards the fate”.

To give you some context, A man ( in a poem) wants his lover to kiss him for the last time and he says “ kiss me for the last time because I am heading towards the fate”. By heading towards the fate, I mean he is going to leave his lover and knows that he is driven by fate, probably an unpleasant one”

• lingobingo

English - England
    That doesn’t really make sense. It would be idiomatic to say you were “heading into the unknown”, but that doesn’t quite fit your scenario as it needs to be an additional comment, on top of having already said you’re leaving. You probably need to say something like “I have to go” and modify it with an explanation such as “I feel destiny calling me”.

mobin68

Persian
    That doesn’t really make sense. It would be idiomatic to say you were “heading into the unknown”, but that doesn’t quite fit your scenario as it needs to be an additional comment, on top of having already said you’re leaving. You probably need to say something like “I have to go” and modify it with an explanation such as “I feel destiny calling me”.
    thank you for your reply. What you suggested does seem so natural. Is there any other way of saying this in a sentence that starts with “I…”. I know it sounds a little paradoxical as when it’s fate who decides, then there is no ‘I’ as an agent 😁

lingobingo

English - England
    Your own piece of dialogue doesn‘t begin with I. ;)

Another possibility:
    Let us kiss one last time, before I head towards my fate.

But, out of context especially, even that sounds a bit like something out of a pantomime!

dojibear

English (US - northeast)
    I don't understand the concept "head towards the fate". Maybe it's a Persian concept.
    By heading towards the fate, I mean he is going to leave his lover and knows that he is driven by fate, probably an unpleasant one
    You are "driven by" something behind you and pushing you forward. "Heading towards" is the opposite: it is your destination. They can't mean the same thing. An English-speaker won't think that one means the other.

OP: “ kiss me for the last time because I am heading towards the fate”.

Suggestions: "... because I'm going away to embrace my fate." Perhaps 'away' could be deleted, but it is an important idea here.

The 'towards' is not so plausible. Unless you say, "... I'm headed to my fate in a distant land."

PS. As per Doji: "... because I'm driven away by fate."

Last edited: