a popular destination with/for hikers

< Previous | Next >

cool-jupiter

Japanese
Hello, forum veterans. Allow me to ask you a question about prepositions. While reading a Banff travel guide brochure, I came across the following sentence:

Rushing rivers, snowcapped peaks, alpine meadows, and glacially-carved circues make the wilderness surrounding the Town of Banff a popular destination with hikers.

Should this with be a for? This is my first instinct. The brochure obviously was made by a Canadian company, so this with could be a Canadian English thing, but I just can't seem to be sure. If you could give me your thought on this, I would be most appreciative.

• lingobingo

English - England
    This use of "with" in combination with "popular" is common and natural English.
    Yes, it is. But for me "a popular destination with hikers" jars a little — perhaps precisely because "popular with" is a widely used expression.

My instinct would be to change the word order and say "a destination popular with hikers".

Scrawny goat

English - Ireland
    Yes, it is. But for me "a popular destination with hikers" jars a little — perhaps precisely because "popular with" is a widely used expression.

My instinct would be to change the word order and say "a destination popular with hikers".
    Quite. (And certainly not 'a destination with popular hikers' although that may also be true of Banff :p)

I see a difference though, which is more obvious if you use it for dogs. A kennel might be 'popular for large dogs' if their owners found it convenient, but if it is 'popular with large dogs' then the canine guests themselves enjoy staying there.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    a popular destination with hikers.
    a popular destination for hikers.

Take your pick -- they both sound good to me.

cool-jupiter

Japanese
    GreenWhiteBlue - Thank you for your very swift reply.

bibliolept - Thank you very much for your answer. Glad to learn that "for" fits just as well.

lingobingo - Ah, "popular with". That, I think. is very understandable and really is widely used! I like your "a destination popular with hikers". Many many thanks!

Scrawny goat - Thank you so much for your pithy explanation using dogs. It certainly added to my understanding.

RM1(SS) - If I had to choose from the two, I would probably rather go with "a popular destination for hikers", but I am really happy that so many people responded with great feedback. Thank you.

< Previous | Next >