1. Chileverde Member

Español, España.
    More and more doubts...
    How do you say this? is it literally translated or there's any expression in english?
    Context (please correct if any mistake!!):
    "one of them pointed out that the cure had not been recommended because he or she had not thought of it, answer that we -----(a posteriori)----- thought we should have included as an option."
    Thank you :)

2. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    A posteriori is a Latin phrase that obviously (from your quote) is not translated in English.

3. Juliomelecio

Juliomelecio Senior Member

Valencia, Ve
    Español Venezuela
    Hello
    A posteriori= sometime earlier before the refered event happens.

4. moyarangel Senior Member

Spain
    Castilian/Spanish
    If you use "a posteriori" you'd use "a priori" too

5. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    You are explaining "A priori"
    A posteriori would be "later"

6. robertov Senior Member

espanol Washington DC
    after the fact?

7. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    it certainly fits the context, but "after the fact" in fact is "ex post facto"

8. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    Then following that criterion "a posteriori" should be left alone, without translation.

9. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    ?

All 3 of the Latin phrases mentioned in this thread are used in English. I can´t speak as to how commonly they are used in Spanish, although, many Spanish speakers will in fact use and understand them.

A priori and a posteriori are particularly favored in philosophy

10. Moritzchen Senior Member

Los Angeles, CA
    Spanish, USA
    They are used a lot Txir, not only in philosophy texts but also in law books.

11. Txiri

Txiri Senior Member

USA English
    That´s true.

12. tomtiguy

tomtiguy Member

Chicago, IL, USA
    USA English
    Chileverde, if you get a chance, you may want to post the entire sentence. That will give us the opportunity to translate the whole thing into "English." Pardon the confusing expression.

"...one of them pointed out that the cure had not been recommended because he or she had not thought of it, answer that we, in hindsight, thought we should have included as an option."

As for the past tense use of "thought" in this sentence:
    If the speaker wants to say that they still think "[they] should have included [the answer?] as an option," then "we think" would be more accurate than "we thought."

I would never recommend using "a posteriori" in the place of "in hindsight;" it's too ostentatious, ponderous and sesquipedalian for my taste.

Other synonyms of "in hindsight":
    "in retrospect"
    "upon re-examination"

Good luck!

13. Chileverde Member

Español, España.
    Context: conclusion of a scientific work which evaluates a survey we made to a sample of physicians. The topic was mineromedicinal waters, therapeutic properties and its potential use at primary care.

Sentence: "entre las distintas respuestas a la pregunta 7, una de ellas señalaba que no se había recomendado la cura porque no se había pensado en ello, respuesta que a posteriori creímos que deberíamos haber incluído como opción (en el cuestionario)" -> "Among the different answers to question 7, one of them pointed out that the cure had not been recommended because he/she had not thought of it, answer that we a posteriori thought we should have included as an option.

I like "in hindsight" as well, but i want the text to be formal style. Would it be correct?

14. natasha2000

natasha2000 Senior Member

Usually, those kind of Latin expressions are not translated. They are used as they are in all languages.