a pot to piss in thanks to ....

< Previous | Next >

rambopark

KOREAN
Greeting!
I really wrote this post after a long time.

What I want to ask you is a sentence in a drama "Prison Break" of the USA.

That is "Especially, we don't have a pot to piss in thanks to Abruzzi's magically disappearing jet."

In here, what's the point? I don't understand the meaning of 'a pot' and 'piss in'.

The short story is that Abruzzi's already prepared a jet to escape for them before escaping, but that plan went wrong.
So the escapees couldn't take that jet. And now, they're running on foot. So a con said that. As I felt, he talked with a sarcastic remark.

• Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Welcome back, rambopark. :)

It refers to an idiom used to express extreme poverty. The full version, as I learned it was:
    They were so poor that they didn't have a pot to piss in [or a window to throw it out of].
    (The last part is usually left off.)

"Thanks to" means something like because of .... In this context, it is sarcastic, as the disappearance of the jet was not a favor, a good thing that someone should give thanks for. However, "thanks to" is often more neutral in meaning. "They could grow their own food easily, thanks to the rich soil."

Added: Thank you for giving excellent context and background.
    :)

mr cat

English - England
    pot = toilet
    piss = urinate
    I don't think that pot meant toilet, from what I know, (may be myth of course), at one time you could sell your urine to the tanners and so if you didn't even have a pot to collect it in you were really in dire straits.

Miss Julie

English-U.S.
    I don't think that pot meant toilet, from what I know, (may be myth of course), at one time you could sell your urine to the tanners and so if you didn't even have a pot to collect it in you were really in dire straits.
    I've always understood "pot" (in this context) to be short for chamber pot:

a vessel for urine, used in bedrooms (from WR dictionary)

< Previous | Next >