a pot

< Previous | Next >

piotr1980

Polish
Hello,

I have a question regarding a word ''a pot'' as this word is quite confusing for me. Am I right with the below

Pot - what we use in the kitchen for boil water
Pot - where we keep a land and put plants
Pot - glass object where we keep pickles for example (pot of pickles)
Pot - old expression to call wheat (marihuana)

Could you please confirm the above and correct me if something seems to you wrong.

Many thanks
Piotr

• Hello,

I have a question regarding a word ''a pot'' as this word is quite confusing for me. Am I right with the below

Pot - what we use in the kitchen for boil water
    Plot - where we keep a land and put plants
    Pot - old expression to call wheat weed (marihuana)

Could you please confirm the above and correct me if something seems to you wrong.

Many thanks
    Piotr
    Hi Piotr,

1. You can boil water in a pot or kettle.
    2. See correction.
    3. Usually called a jar.
    4. :tick:

Also - pot or "pottie" - used for toilet-training young children.

LRV

mplsray

My comments are in dark blue in the following quotation, and apply to American English usage.

Hello,

Pot - what we use in the kitchen for boiling water

A pot may be used to boil vegetables or meat. It's ordinarily not used just for boiling water. Today, that's done in the microwave. When I was young, water was boiled in a teapot (made of metal). Coffee was made in a coffeepot (also made of metal and called also a percolator).

Another meaning for teapot is a ceramic container not itself put on the stove, but into which hot water is poured to make and serve tea. Another meaning for coffeepot is the glass container with a handle into which modern drip coffeemakers drip the coffee.

Correction: After seeing la reine victoria's mention of the word kettle for boiling water, I started to have doubts about what we called the kitchen implement for boiling water in my family, so I called up my mom. In fact, we called it a teakettle. Whether anyone actually uses teapot for the implement for boiling water, I can't say.

Pot - where we keep a land soil (or potting soil) and put plants

I would use that to refer to a ceramic container only, as a honey pot or a pot of mustard.

All those are countable: one pot, two pots, one coffeepot, two coffeepots.

Pot - old expression to call wheat (marihuana) cannabis (marijuana). The spelling marihuana is also standard; it's just not seen much in the US nowadays. Pot is slang or very informal, and so is grass and weed. Perhaps that is what you had in mind when you wrote wheat. Pot is ordinarily non-countable, like water and food, although in certain circumstances, all of those can be countable.

Many thanks
    Piotr

< Previous | Next >