a premium with a premium, a well with a well

< Previous | Next >

giuliaraccoon

Italiano
Ciao,
sono in difficoltà con questa frase da tradurre.
Si parla di cocktail e di come sia importante usare gli ingredienti giusti e mixarli insieme.
Il pezzo in questione:
"One of the first rules about making a cocktail is that it's only gonna be as good as the crappiest ingredient that's in it. You've gotta match your ingredients. A premium with a premium, a well with a well."

Non so se ho colto il senso dell'intero pezzo e non so come si traducono, in gergo cocktailesco, well e premium.
My attempt:
"Una delle prime cose da sapere sulla preparazione dei cocktail è che la sua riuscita dipenderà dalla qualità degli ingredienti. Dovete mixarli nel modo giusto. Ehm ehm......?"

Grazie a tutti!

• joanvillafane

U.S. English
    Hi giuliaraccoon -
    I understand the part with "premium" - it means you have to mix ingredients of the same quality. If you are using a "premium" vodka, you need a premium vermouth.

What's puzzling is the "well" part - could this possibly have been translated into English from another language?
    I think we'd think "good" ingredients. "Well" does not seem to fit here. (unless it's some technical terms that bartenders know - maybe someone will confirm.) But it probably means the next step down in quality from premium.

giuliaraccoon

Italiano
    Hi joanvillafane,
    thank you! :)
    Yes, I thought that too. The sentence comes from a script I have to adapt. It's a tv script from the USA...
    Let's see if a bartender shows up to help!

Mary49

Italian
    Vedi qui https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080410091836AAAXYa6 Well drinks are those poured off the well. The well is the rack of stock liquors bars keep right at the bartender's station. Well liquors usually make up your basic drinks like rum and coke, bourbon and 7-up, and many called cocktails like a Long Island Ice Tea....Premium drinks are those that use top of the line name brand liquors such as XXX tequila, XXX vodka, YYYY, ZZZZZ, Captain XYZ, etc".
    "Marca con marca, anonimo con anonimo"

Mary49

Italian
    Mary, your knowledge of arcane trivia never ceases to amaze me! I believe you are absolutely correct. I am truly astounded. Phil
    Thank you Phil, but it's just some skill (in all modesty) I have to search through the web, and also a bit of luck :)

< Previous | Next >