A preposition problem: ON waist?

Vernz

Hiligaynon, Filipino
source: not source anywhere.

in the story I am making, one line is...

Damian showed the amulets that were tied on his waist.

I wonder if 'on' is right in this usage.
the amulet here is something that is tied on string, then you tie the string around your waist.
something like this

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Egmont

English - U.S.
    I'd probably write "... that were tied at his waist." What's important here is their location: they were not tied around his neck, at his wrists, or anywhere else. It would be assumed that they are tied to some sort of string or belt, but that probably isn't very important. If it matters, you can add that information.

However, there are several ways to say this. Some of them use other prepositions.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Tied around the waist might give the impression that the amulet is really long and that the amulet itself can go around the waist.

What about: tied on to his waist?

Vernz

Hiligaynon, Filipino
    Tied around the waist might give the impression that the amulet is really long and that the amulet itself can go around the waist.
    Yes, that is what I was thinking. Though there are amulets that are very long and is tied around the waist, that is not I want here. I wanted a light amulet that doesn't hamper much to what the character is doing, the one that is just tied on a string.

< Previous | Next >