A Present Perfect problem

Tsudo

Poland, Polish
I've come across this reading 'Harry Potter And The Goblet of Fire'. Ron says:

"I don't know what made me do it! What was I playing at? There were people - all around - I've gone mad - everyone watching!"

So, why is there The Present Perfect Tense used in the phrase "I've gone mad"?

• sdgraham

USA English
    I've come across this reading 'Harry Potter And The Goblet of Fire'. Ron says:

"I don't know what made me do it! What was I playing at? There were people - all around - I've gone mad - everyone watching!"

So, why is there The Present Perfect Tense used in the phrase "I've gone mad"?
    To go mad, of course, is an idiom. There might be a rule somewhere, but as far as I can see, this is one of those cases that the present perfect is just part of the idiom, especially since it describes a figurative event with no particular point in time.

Brioche

Australia English
    The present perfect fits because it describes an action begun in the past, but still affecting the present.

Ivan_I

Russian
    Well, it's a hard one. Clearly he tells about a certain occasion which took place at a certain time in the past. I think it's legit to add an adverbial, for example, "yesterday". What do we get?

"I don't know what made me do it YESTERDAY! What was I playing at? There were people - all around - I've gone mad - everyone watching!"

I fail to see how Present perfect fits in here. Maybe it should be "I had gone mad"? Just puzzled.

Pertinax

BrE->AuE
    The present perfect suggests to me that his "madness" does indeed affect his present condition, but that it is of a recurring nature, liable to flare up in future under similar circumstances. A "mad" person may be sane much of the time, just as an epileptic may rarely suffer seizures.

If you want to say that his madness was a one-off incident, then of course "had" is superior, or even "I must've gone mad".

The expanded excerpt (courtesy Dr Google) shows that the fit of madness was indeed short-lived, ending when he "came to my senses":

"I don't know what made me do it! What was I playing at? There were people - all around - I've gone mad - everyone watching! I was just walking past her in the Entrance Hall - and it sort of came over me - and I asked her! She looked at me like I was a sea slug or something. Didn't even answer. And then - I dunno - I just sort of came to my senses and ran for it."

But nothing has occurred since to end his vulnerability to such fits - if it could happen then, why not again?

< Previous | Next >