a pretty dark red

< Previous | Next >

WildWest

Turkish
Hello. The sentence below is from a book simplified for learners and called "The Long Goodbye".

"Her hair was a pretty dark red and she had a distant smile on her lips."

I wonder whether the indefinite article in the sentence is nothing more than a typo made by the adapters. To me, it is, but I also think that perhaps the word red is somehow regarded as a noun in the sentence, which has very low probability.

• GreenWhiteBlue

USA - English
    I wonder whether the indefinite article in the sentence is nothing more than a typo made by the adapters.
    The indefinite article is not an error; it is instead both intentional and correct.

I also think that perhaps the word red is somehow regarded as a noun in the sentence, which has very low probability.
    It is certainly a noun in this sentence. Why wouldn't it be?

Consider this famous bit of movie monologue from Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House, in which Mrs. Blandings (played by Myrna Loy) gives instructions to the painters:
    I want it to be a soft green, not as blue-green as a robin’s egg, but not as yellow-green as daffodil buds. Now, the only sample I could get is a little too yellow, but don’t let whoever does it go to the other extreme and get it too blue. It should just be a sort of grayish-yellow-green. Now, the dining room. I’d like yellow. Not just yellow; a very gay yellow.
    In this case, the girl's hair is a particular shade of red. It is not a light red; it is instead a dark red which is attractive -- that is, a pretty dark red.

(Cross-posted.)

WildWest

Turkish
    Thank you both for your replies :)

I thought, before opening the thread, that it might be unnecessary to ask such a question because it was obviously an error made by adapters. Now it turned out that I was completely wrong. In fact, I have just learned something new to me.

In this simplified version, there are several things about which I would consult you. I should ask them too :)

< Previous | Next >