A pretty rum go if squire ain't to talk for

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote from "Treasure Island".
Ok, before that quote, in the letter the squire says something about telling people the treasure. So the narrator cut the reading.
I didnot understand "a pretty rum go if squire..." part.

Redruth," said I, interrupting the letter, "Dr. Livesey will not like that. The squire has been talking, after all."
"Well, who's a better right?" growled the gamekeeper. "A pretty rum go if squire ain't to talk for Dr. Livesey, I should think."."

Thanks for help

• Biffo

English - England
    This represents speech in a local dialect.
    "Well, who's a better right?" growled the gamekeeper. "A pretty rum go if squire ain't to talk for Dr. Livesey..."
    "Well who has a better right?" growled the gamekeeper. "It is a quite strange situation if the squire isn't to speak on behalf of Dr. Livesey."

Last edited:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Also called "a rum do". Probably not used very much nowadays, I think. "Rum" as a synonym for strange went out around 1950, but "It's a funny do" is still in use, with the same meaning.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Note that Treasure Island was written in the 1880s and is set a century or so earlier. There are a number of words and expressions which are no longer in common use. I agree with Keith that "rum go" is one such expression.

chong lee

türkçe
    Biffo,
    I got "rum go". But not the logic. The squire did what he should not have done. But gamekeeper defends him, I think. But I do not know why.

Biffo

English - England
    Biffo,
    I got "rum go". But not the logic. The squire did what he should not have done. But gamekeeper defends him, I think. But I do not know why.
    Typically the gamekeeper is employed by the squire (see definition) and lives in a cottage on the squire's land. If he goes against the squire he will lose his job and his home. A gamekeeper's job is to protect the squire's game and land from local poachers. He is professionally on his master's side in an argument!

http://www.wordreference.com/definition/squire

* It is many years since I read this book. I think I may pick it up again!

Last edited:

chong lee

türkçe
    He has to defend his master, ok but the boy is trying to say that it is not a permission problem (it is not something like squire is not allowed by doctor). I think boy thinks to mention the treasure is wrong for both them (doctor and squire), right? So in fact gamekeeper misunderstood the boy. But boy did not correct him. Becouse that quote continues with below:

At that I gave up all attempts at commentary and read straight on:

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I think it's this:

Redruth," said I, interrupting the letter, "Dr. Livesey will not like the fact that the squire writes about the treasure. The squire has been talking, after all, about something that should be secret."
    "Well, who has a better right to speak than the squire?" growled the gamekeeper. "It would be a pretty strange thing if someone of the status of a squire isn't allowed to speak on behalf of Dr. Livesey, I should think."

< Previous | Next >