a priori

Sr. Cabeza

Spanish Spain
Hi everybody!

How could I translate the sentence "A pesar de tratarse de un producto a priori seguro"?

Thank you for your help

• EVAVIGIL

Spain / Spanish
    Anthodocheio is right; a priori is Latin, and you don't need to translate it.
    Etymology: 18c: Latin, meaning ‘from what is before'.
    Your sentence:
    Even though it is a priori a safe product...
    Even though it is a safe product a priori...

Cheers!
    EVA.

EVAVIGIL

Spain / Spanish
    anthodocheio said:
    Gracias Eva!

‘from what is before' doen't realy explain the meaning. Could be like "it was suposed to be a safe product" or something like that. Sorry, is hard for me to explain!
    It is not an explanation; it is the phrase's origin.

I thought you knew what it meant and needed a translation.

Here are the definitions:

# adjective: involving deductive reasoning from a general principle to a necessary effect; not supported by fact (Example: "An a priori judgment")
    # adjective: based on hypothesis or theory rather than experiment
    # adverb: derived by logic, without observed facts
    Cheers from Madrid!

EVA.

andym

English - England
    It depends a lot on the context. In a legal, semi-legal or very formal document 'a priori' would be fine but in other contexts it would be batter to find a 'plain English' alternative.

MartínG

USA English
    Note: I would translate the original phrase like this: In spite of being thought of as a safe product...
    You would then need to add the rest of the phrase to make a complete sentence In spite of being thought of as a safe product...many were injured.

Belgium English and French
    Hi!
    I am an interpreter and I often get a bit stuck when I hear "a priori", but now almost always opt of "initially" or "in theory" (in certain contexts) by way of an English translation.
    Hope this helps you.

skyeman

English
    Quizá yo sea un inculto, pero la verdad es que 'a priori' no es una expresión que haya escuchado mucho en inglés. Diría que suena muy formal. En español, en cambio, sí que la oigo bastante, incluso en la lengua informal.