a priori

arjun78

India-Hindi
Hello,

I have a doubt regarding article usage when using a priori in a sentence. Suppose I say, 'it was an a priori justification in X.' Is it okay to use the article preceding it? Or, must we avoid them altogether when using a priori?

Regards,
Arjun

• Yulan

Italian
    Hello Arjun78

I'd say "it was a priori justification ..." simply.

But I am not a native, so let's wait for their tips :)

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello,

I have a doubt regarding article usage when using a priori in a sentence. Suppose I say, 'it was an a priori justification in X.' Is it okay to use the article preceding it? Or, must we avoid them altogether when using a priori?

Regards,
    Arjun
    A priori is adjectival here, and, if you are using the indefinite article you need to say an a priori justification.

Leave out the an and you seem to make the a of a priori perform service as an article, something which it cannot do.

The usual rules for including or leaving out articles apply, but the a priori part must stay intact.

Dr No

English - Australia
    Yes, an a priori justification. Renaissance man's distinction is useful to keep in mind. Whether to use italics depends on the context. Most philosophy publications these days no longer use italics as it is a standard expression.

< Previous | Next >