A 'private' had been flogged.

< Previous | Next >

eclectic

WU-CHINESE
Here is the quotation: "Catherine and Lydia had information for them of a different sort. Much had been done and much had been said in the regiment since the preceding Wednesday; several of the officers had dined lately with their uncle, a private had been flogged, and it had actually been hinted that Colonel Forster was going to be married."

Now there is a problem, what "private" means? Is it "something not openly in public" or "a person of low rank in army"?

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Eclectic. You should choose "a person of low rank in the army". Since I saw some other military language in your quote, this definition makes sense.

PS Please remember to include the writer's name and the title of the text whenever you quote something in the forum. :)

eclectic

WU-CHINESE
    Hello, Eclectic. You should choose "a person of low rank in the army". Since I saw some other military language in your quote, this definition makes sense.

PS Please remember to include the writer's name and the title of the text whenever you quote something in the forum. :)
    Sorry forgot to inform that, it was from "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen.

eclectic

WU-CHINESE

I reviewed the text but was confused much more.

< Previous | Next >