a private school of higher education

schlogo

french
I m having pb again with translating a sentence, i one can help...:)

The school being a private school of higher education is under the control of the Minister of National Education and the school’s diploma is officially recognized.

• Jana337

čeština
    schlogo said:
    I m having pb again with translating a sentence, i one can help...:)

The school being a private school of higher education is under the control of the Minister of National Education and the school’s diploma is officially recognized.
    I see that it is a hard one, but it is in the spirit of this forum that you give it a try. ;)

Rules
    Except as a topic of discussion, chatspeak and SMS style are not acceptable. Members must do their best to write using standard language forms.
    Put the word or phrase in the title when asking a question.
    (Avoid "translation please", "how do I say this", "does this word exist", "I'm new" and similar expressions.)
    Jana

FloVi

Deutsch / Deutschland
    My suggestion:

"Diese Einrichtung ist eine Schule für höhere Bildung unter der Aufsicht des Bildungsministeriums. Der Schulabschluss wird offiziell anerkannt."

schlogo

french
    hello

Thank you flovi, :) Jana37, I should have posted the many solutions I tried unsuccefully. I will remember that for my next post :) Regards

o

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    FloVi said:
    My suggestion:

"Diese Einrichtung ist eine Schule für höhere Bildung unter der Aufsicht des Bildungsministeriums. Der Schulabschluss wird offiziell anerkannt."
    Du hast "private" vergessen.

Diese Einrichtung ist eine private Hochschule unter der Aufsicht des Bildungsministeriums. Der Schulabschluss wird staatlich anerkannt.

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    Well, I just thought it made more sense. If I've learned something at uni then it is that you're better off not translating words, but rendering whole sentences or even paragraphs while thinking in the goal language. You have to free yourself from the vocabulary and structure of the source sentence and create a new sentence in another language that will sound good and flow easily.
    That's what I've tried to do. I do believe "private Hochschule" sounds more credible in this context. But not being 100 per cent sure about "staatlich" I've marked the word green and waited for the comments. :)

Kajjo

"The school being a private school of higher education is under the control of the Minister of National Education and the school’s diploma is officially recognized."

"Diese Einrichtung ist eine weiterführende Privatschule unter der Aufsicht des Bildungsministeriums. Der Schulabschluss ist staatlich anerkannt."

Schlogo, bitte beachte bei der Übersetzung folgendes:
    1) school of higher education = weiterführende Schule -- es sei denn, es ist wirklich eine Universität/Hochschule gemeint

2) private school = Privatschule -- in einem Wort

3) "staatlich anerkannt" = officially recognised

Kajjo

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    Kajjo said:
    "Diese Einrichtung ist eine weiterführende Privatschule unter der Aufsicht des Bildungsministeriums. Der Schulabschluss ist staatlich anerkannt."

Schlogo, bitte beachte bei der Übersetzung folgendes:
    1) school of higher education = weiterführende Schule -- es sei denn, es ist wirklich eine Universität/Hochschule gemeint
    Könntest du es vielleicht näher erläutern? Was sind es für Schulen, die "schools of higher education" sind, dennoch nicht "Hochschulen"? :confused:

Kajjo

cyanista said:
    Könntest du es vielleicht näher erläutern? Was sind es für Schulen, die "schools of higher education" sind, dennoch nicht "Hochschulen"?
    Ich habe keine Ahnung! Die Frage wäre eher, was für Schulen die französische Fragestellerin nun wirklich gemeint hat. Alter der Schüler? Vorbildung der Schüler? Welche Abschlüsse?

Ich kann mir nicht vorstellen, daß "school of higher education" nicht so etwas wie Highschool, College, Gymnasium, Berufsschule oder ähnliches sein soll. Vom deutschen Sprachgefühl her, würde man Universitäten und Hochschulen auf jeden Fall nicht nur als "Schule" bezeichnen.

"Weiterführende Schülen" sind alle Schulen, die über Grundschule/Hauptschule hinausgehen und könnten hiermit sehr gut gemeint sein, z.B. entsprechend deutscher Gymnasien.

Kajjo

cyanista

законодательница мод
    NRW
    Belarusian/Russian
    "High school" and "gimnasium" gehören zu "secondary education".

"Higher education" ist was anderes.

Aus Wikipedia:

Higher education is education provided by universities and other collegial institutions that award academic degrees, such as community colleges, liberal arts colleges, career colleges, and technical colleges.
    Higher education includes teaching,research and social services activities of universities, and within the realm of teaching, it includes both the undergraduate level (sometimes referred to as tertiary education) and the graduate (or postgraduate) level (sometimes referred to as graduate school).

Hochschule ist eine umfassende Bezeichnung für eine Bildungseinrichtung des tertiären Bildungsbereichs. Hierzu gehören Universitäten, Gesamthochschulen, Kunsthochschulen, Technische Hochschulen, Pädagogische Hochschulen, Medizinische Hochschulen und Fachhochschulen.
    Beide Artikel sprechen von dem tertiären Bildungsbereich (tertiary education).

Und wenn es das Wort "school" ist, das dich stört, muss ich darauf hinweisen, dass es im Englischen auch "A college or university" bedeuten kann. (3a)

Schlogo, could you please tell us, what educational institution you had in mind?

Kajjo

Hi Cyanista,
    I didn't know that about "higher education". Sounds strange to me, but must be true... in this case, "Hochschule" indeed appears to be the correct translation! Let us see what Schlogo had in mind.
    Kajjo

< Previous | Next >