A professor with/from

< Previous | Next >

danielxu85

Mandarin Chinese

Adverbs are just way too flexible. Could I use “from” to substitute “with” in the following context? Are there any differences?

“Aiming to increase the effective supply of housing, the new policy will be more pragmatic.” commented Liu Shan, a professor with the School of Economics of Beijing Business University, on his blog.

• GuitarMaestro

USA English
    a professor at the school... I would probably also leave out the "on his blog," it just hangs out there at the end of the sentence. I like the way you said it better, but if you felt it was essential to say that he made the comment on his blog, I would say, "Liu Shan, a professor at the School of Economics of Beijing Business University, commented on his blog, “Aiming to increase the effective supply of housing, the new policy will be more pragmatic.”

river

U.S. English
    I would say "Liu Shan, a professor in the School of Economics at Beijing Business University."

Ms Missy

USA English
    Just to clarify the reason I feel that with sounds better in a general sense. ... Suppose a main university has several "branches" throughout the country. A professor might be working at one of the branches instead of on the main campus. So in that case to say s/he was in the school or at the school could be misleading.

PS. Please don't think I'm criticizing the other two opinions. "Differences in opinions" is what keeps the forum interesting as long as they're expressed in a respectful manner.

< Previous | Next >