a propósito

eric crowder

english ENgland
Mis amigos

Can I say : a propósito ¿vamos al cine?

To mean I propose we go the cinema

Ihave seen it in other uses and also the verb proponer but this looks neat and to the point

gracias

eric

• WillyLandron

English United States
    eric crowder said:
    Mis amigos

Can I say : a propósito ¿vamos al cine?

To mean I propose we go the cinema

Ihave seen it in other uses and also the verb proponer but this looks neat and to the point

gracias

eric

a propósito
    has two main meanings :

"on purpose"

Lo hiciste a propósito.
    [You did on purpose]

"speaking of which"

A propósito, ¿vamos al cine esta noche?

[Speaking about movies, are we going to the movies tonight?]

WillyLandron

English United States
    I just want to clarify :

A proposito does not mean I propose. If you want to say "I propose we go to the movies tonight." that would be:

Propongo que vayamos al cine.

or simply

¡Vamos al cine!

bloodinghard

español
    i think the proper way to say that expression is :

"By the way, are we going to the movies?"

i think so, because its like you were talking about another subject and suddenly you bring this to the conversation like it has just came to your mind... ( wich is probably not truth hahahaha )

Grey Fox

UK - English
    y para que no queda duda de la manera en que estás usando la frase, se escucha mucho el "¿qué tal si...?" para introducir lo que uno propone "a proposito":

"A propósito, ¿qué tal si vayamos al cine?"

There are various ways of wording the suggestion in English, I'd say bloodinghard's is the least likely, as it seems to have an ulterior motive, as indicated. More usual would be "How about going to the cinema" or "Let's go to the cinema". The first can lead to misunderstandings in the group to whom its addressed, as some might feel it was an open invitation, while others regard it as purely a suggestion, hence using "Let's" which is the classic way of suggesting with a view to actually doing it, without being so formal as the invitation "Would you like to..."

It's often hard for non-native speakers to pick up the subtleties in social situations, and what is taught in lessons/books seldom tallies with real life situations!

Sorry, this is an aside, "a propósito", not really dealing with "a propósito" as the subject of the thread! - there's some ironic humour in there somewhere ;)

< Previous | Next >