a pryč je, co kdo zboď

Discussion in 'Čeština (Czech)' started by mikola.samara, Nov 22, 2016.

1. mikola.samara New Member

Russian - Russia
    Hello ! Can someone please explain the meaning of the following phrase :
    a pryč je, co kdo zboď ?

It is from Raduza song, De Nîmes:
    Zouvám si pár těžkejch bot
    jsi ve vesmíru můj pevnej bod
    a sukně kasám, je blízko brod
    a pryč je, co kdo zbod

Thank you un advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2016
  2. BruceDeuce New Member

Czech - Czech Republic
    Zbodnout means to mess up. It is rather colloquial.

3. Enquiring Mind

Enquiring Mind Senior Member

UK/Česká republika
    English - the Queen's
    Hello m.s, it doesn't make much sense to me for two reasons: (1) I can't be sure if there's some kind of slang meaning of zbodnout here, and (2) the whole song seems to be a series of "impressionistic" not very well connected images vaguely relating to a woman apparently leaving her lover, maybe after an argument. An article written in 1970 in 'Naše řeč' here says zbodnout means either "to pierce" (приколоть), or "to break" pokazit / испортить, or ‚hltavě sníst‘ - to "wolf down" or "gobble up" (usually food) - заглатывать с жадностью (пищу).

Unless there's some slang meaning I'm not aware of (I'm not a native), the most likely sense is pokazit - break, damage, spoil, ruin, mess up.

So my best educated guess is: a pryč je, co kdo zbod - whatever either of us messed up (whatever either of us did wrong, whatever mistakes either of us made), that's all in the past (it doesn't matter, it's gone, it's over) now. More loosely: "let's not play the blame game, it doesn't matter any more."

[Ed: thanks BruceDeuce for clarifying the sense of zbodnout.]
    [2nd grammatical ed: zbod (colloquial) = zbodl, or zbodnul= 3rd person singular, past tense, of zbodnout. It's the masculine form because its subject is kdo - kdo zbodl]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  4. mikola.samara New Member

Russian - Russia
    Thank you very much for clarifying )

5. ilocas2 Banned

Czech
    I know zbodnout only in the meaning of "to eat". And I think it maybe fits better in this song than the meaning of "mess up".

6. BruceDeuce New Member

Czech - Czech Republic
  7. ilocas2 Banned

Czech
    Já to přeci nerozporuji.

8. hypoch Member

Czech
    Zajímavé, já taky znám "zbodnout" jenom ve významu "hltavě sníst". Třeba jsou další významy regionální (já jsem z Brna)?