A psychological action

Discussion in 'English Only' started by NHHL, Apr 22, 2011.

1. NHHL Senior Member

Singapore-English
    Manchester United has informed that it would tighten security not to let the officials of Chelsea approach the referees.

- In this context, may I use this phrase "hit a psychological action on someone" to describe that MU does this to put a psychological effect on Chelsea?

Thanks so much,

NHHL

2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    I doubt it. I would say NO you cannot say this.

I have never heard of a psychological action, still less the idea that this can be HIT on someone.

3. Drach New Member

English - USA
    I suggest a little re-writing for both sentences. Generally when you use the word "informed" you should specify who is being informed. If there is no direct object for "inform" then you should use a word such as "declared", "stated", "said", etc.

As to your original question:

No, this is not the correct way to say what you mean. I would re-write the whole thing to something like this (changes underlined, and multiple options divided by slashes:

Manchester United has declared that it would tighten security by not letting the officials of Chelsea approach the referees.

MU intended this (restriction/action/etc) to have a psychological effect on Chelsea.

-OR-

MU intended this (restriction/action/etc) to affect Chelsea psychologically.

-OR-

MU intended this (restriction/action/etc) (to be/as) a psychological (attack/blow/strike) against Chelsea

4. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    You might review this link to psych out (from a previous post)