a puddle of liquid (on the ground only?)

< Previous | Next >

EdisonBhola

Korean
Hi all, I'd like to describe a puddle of liquid in the sea, not on the ground. I think "puddle" isn't the right word, but I can't think of a suitable alternative. The context is this:

I was swimming the other day when I noticed a "puddle" of red liquid drifting towards me. It seemed to be blood.

Many thanks for any help! :)

• suzi br

English / England
    Hmm, good question. I agree that puddle doesn't sound right. The only well-known thing I can think of for a fluid floating on water is an oil-slick, but I don't see what we can do with that to make it fit your context.

It must have been written about before, so I guess someone sharper than me will be in soon to help you. ;)

EdisonBhola

Korean
    Hmm, good question. I agree that puddle doesn't sound right. The only well-known thing I can think of for a fluid floating on water is an oil-slick, but I don't see what we can do with that to make it fit your context.

It must have been written about before, so I guess someone sharper than me will be in soon to help you. ;)
    I was also thinking along the lines of oil spills. :)

suzi br

English / England
    I suppose the idea you have had, of putting "puddle" in inverted commas would work if no-one can offer a better solution. :)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    If it was blood, I wonder why it didn't mingle with the sea water. Or are you saying that there was some mingling at the edges? If so I think veli's suggestion of a red patch works well for me.

If they didn't mingle I might say something like a big flat blob of red or something similar.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Although we say "There was a puddle of light on the surface of the water", as others have said, "puddle" indicates an area with distinct edges, and thus, in the case of the sea or other liquids, a puddle must be of two liquids that do not mix.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I think you could use 'pool' in the same way as we talk about 'pools' of light or darkness or pools of blood, meaning an area . A 'puddle' has an idea of depth and sounds distinctly odd if it's floating on the surface.

< Previous | Next >