<A?> qualitative research into adolescent resistance

feifayfeefey

CHINESE
Dear all,

I wrote <A qualitative research into adolescent resistance> as a title, and my supervisor removed the "A". It seems rather weird for me because without the A it looks refering to general research into adolescent resistance rather than this particular study of ours. However, i know research is a mass noun so his concern makes sense too.

What is your suggestion?

Many thanks in advance!!!
Fay

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Your supervisor is correct as regards grammar. There is no such thing as "one research" or "a research." However, you found the correct solution in your post: instead of "a research," use "a study" or "a research study." "Study" is a countable noun, so "a" is correct with it; and "research" functions as an adjective to describe the type of study.

feifayfeefey

CHINESE
    Your supervisor is correct as regards grammar. There is no such thing as "one research" or "a research." However, you found the correct solution in your post: instead of "a research," use "a study" or "a research study." "Study" is a countable noun, so "a" is correct with it; and "research" functions as an adjective to describe the type of study.
    That's great! Thanks a million Egmont!!!

feifayfeefey

CHINESE
    I just got a new thought. actually I tried "study" and "inquiry" before choosing the word "research" but my supervisor didn't like them.

is there ONE word to express the meaning of a "research study"?

feifayfeefey

CHINESE
    Not that I can think of. However, if you write "A qualitative study," the context will probably imply that it's a research study. (You'll probably want to change the preposition from "into" to "of," too.)
    That's cool! A 2nd million of thanks to you, Egmont!!

< Previous | Next >