A Question About Affinity

< Previous | Next >

murat guler

turkish
This question may sound odd but.... can your aunt's husband call you nephew / niece. In my culture, the answer is NO. What about English and American cultures?

Thanks

• Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    In AE, my aunt's husband is my uncle, and I am his niece.

I do have an aunt who married her current husband when they were both in their 60's and I was almost 50. I don't really think of him as my uncle, or myself as his niece, but it wouldn't be incorrect to use those terms.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    Yes, this is quite normal - certainly in Britain at least. Similarly, I as a nephew call my aunt's husband "uncle" even though he's only a relative by marriage.

Schimmelreiter

Deutsch
    In AE, my aunt's husband is my uncle, and I am his niece.

I do have an aunt who married her current husband when they were both in their 60's and I was almost 50. I don't really think of him as my uncle, or myself as his niece, but it wouldn't be incorrect to use those terms.
    Wouldn't your aunt's husband technically be an affinal uncle​? There might be circumstances in which the clarification is helpful (e.g. in inheritance law).

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    "Affinal uncle" may be the correct term, but because I would have to define it for the person I was speaking to, it's just as easy to say "my mother's sister's husband," which is what we do if clarification is required.

sdgraham

USA English
    Wouldn't your aunt's husband technically be an affinal uncle​? There might be circumstances in which the clarification is helpful (e.g. in inheritance law).
    I believe the OP was asking about common English usage.

If you will check this previous thread: Affinal, you will see that we native speakers consider it rather bizarre in normal usage.

< Previous | Next >