a question about attributive adjectival phrase

吃玫瑰

chinese
Hello, everyone!

Could you please tell me the usage about attributive adjectival phrase ?

Here is a sentence, "We increased the proportion of people affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas receiving monetary compensation, making good progress in reducing real estate inventory."

When using attributive adjectival phrases, if I can put them behind the noun phrase directly, and don't care about order and number,just like"receiving monetary compensation affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas" or maybe I can add something like"affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas receiving monetary compensation buying some fields"

Thank you!:)

Last edited:
  • 吃玫瑰

chinese
    :) I am asking for the source of the example - you should give the source. :thumbsup:
    We increased the proportion of people affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas receiving monetary compensation, making good progress in reducing real estate inventory.

吃玫瑰

chinese
    :) I am asking for the source of the example - you should give the source. :thumbsup:
    I am sorry very much! I thought you asked the sentence,now I have known my mistake.:( It was the article of Chinese government report in 2017.

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    "We increased the proportion of people affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas receiving monetary compensation, making good progress in reducing real estate inventory."
    Sentences, in English, rarely contain more than three ideas (and that includes the subject.) Your sentence is unnatural and confusing.

affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas
    receiving monetary compensation,
    making good progress in reducing real estate inventory.

are all reduced relative clauses. A reduced relative clause requires an unambiguous subject.

affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas clearly has the subject "the proportion of people"
    receiving monetary compensation is a mistake as it is not clear who or what is the subject of that reduced relative clause - is it (i) rundown areas or (ii) the proportion of people?
    making good progress in reducing real estate inventory is a mistake as it is not clear who or what is the subject of that reduced relative clause.

吃玫瑰

chinese
    Sentences, in English, rarely contain more than three ideas (and that includes the subject.) Your sentence is unnatural and confusing.

affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas
    receiving monetary compensation,
    making good progress in reducing real estate inventory.

are all reduced relative clauses. A reduced relative clause requires an unambiguous subject.

affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas clearly has the subject "the proportion of people"
    receiving monetary compensation is a mistake as it is not clear who or what is the subject of that reduced relative clause - is it (i) rundown areas or (ii) the proportion of people?
    making good progress in reducing real estate inventory is a mistake as it is not clear who or what is the subject of that reduced relative clause.
    Thank you very much!:D

Loob

English UK
    If I've understood your question correctly, the original sentence is:
    We increased the proportion of people affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas receiving monetary compensation, making good progress in reducing real estate inventory.

And you're asking if it would be acceptable
    - (1) to change the order so that the sentence reads:
    We increased the proportion of people receiving monetary compensation affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas, making good progress in reducing real estate inventory.
    or
    - (2) to insert some words so that it reads:
    We increased the proportion of people affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas receiving monetary compensation buying some fields, making good progress in reducing real estate inventory.

The original sentence is actually quite hard to read: I had to read it twice to understand the relationship between the clauses beginning affected by... and receiving...

But I'm afraid that both your suggested changes make the sentence worse.

The green version says that you increased the proportion of people affected by rebuilding - which isn't what you mean.

And in the blue sentence, the addition of "buying some fields" is simply confusing.

I'm sorry to give you such a negative answer:(.

吃玫瑰

chinese
    If I've understood your question correctly, the original sentence is:

And you're asking if it would be acceptable
    - (1) to change the order so that the sentence reads:
    We increased the proportion of people receiving monetary compensation affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas, making good progress in reducing real estate inventory.
    or
    - (2) to insert some words so that it reads:
    We increased the proportion of people affected by rebuilding in rundown urban areas receiving monetary compensation buying some fields, making good progress in reducing real estate inventory.

The original sentence is actually quite hard to read: I had to read it twice to understand the relationship between the clauses beginning affected by... and receiving...

But I'm afraid that both your suggested changes make the sentence worse.

The green version says that you increased the proportion of people affected by rebuilding - which isn't what you mean.

And in the blue sentence, the addition of "buying some fields" is simply confusing.

I'm sorry to give you such a negative answer:(.
    It dosen't matter, thanks for your help! Now I have known the origin sentence has problem in expressing meaning clearly, and I will aviod the mistake in my writting.

< Previous | Next >