a question on direction

yingmin

Mandarin Chinese
Hello everyone!
I am terrible at directions, so I am confused about this sentence below. It came from the podcast Lore.

What the trucker saw—what all of them claimed to have seen—was a small group of Native Americans standing on the median between the eastbound and westbound lanes of traffic near Mill Road.

I want to know whether my understanding of where they stood is correct...

Thanks in advance! I appreciate your help!

Attachments

• The pianist

English - US
    If you assume that they are standing in the circle --- No. It says "near Mill Road". If this is a dual highway or a freeway there will be eastbound lanes AND westbound lanes on both sides of Mill Road with the median separating them. They could be a distance from Mill Road and still be in the median between east and westbound lanes.

yingmin

Mandarin Chinese
    If you assume that they are standing in the circle --- No. It says "near Mill Road". If this is a dual highway or a freeway there will be eastbound lanes AND westbound lanes on both sides of Mill Road with the median separating them. They could be a distance from Mill Road and still be in the median between east and westbound lanes.
    Yes, you are right. I assume that they are standing in the circle.:)
    Thank you for your help, The pianist:)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Your map is wrong :) Both places where you have marked arrows on your map will have both eastbound traffic and, on the other side of the road at the same place, westbound traffic (if it is a normal road with traffic going in each direction). In many roads with traffic going in each direction, there is a strip between them (the median) that is raised and cars cannot drive on it. That is where the people were standing.

A quick Google leads me to the source (The World of Lore: Dreadful Places By Aaron Mahnke) and reveals the writer is specifically referring to the median on the Pocahontas Parkway (a divided highway with a median strip and grass) - the map in the OP is spurious :(. The arrow indicates Mill Road and the x is somewhere on the median. The text in the book before the OP's quote explaoins the situation (and is a good example of why the forum requests the source for EVERY quote:))

Pocahontas.jpg

Last edited:

kentix

English - U.S.
    The yellow roadway above the X is the westbound lanes of Route 895 (Pocahontas Pkwy).
    The yellow roadway below the X is the eastbound lanes of Route 895.

Together they make up the whole road named Route 895. The median is the area between those two parts of 895.

The grassy area in the middle is the median. (It looks like it's winter and the grass is brown and dormant.)
    Interstate_80_in_Hemlock_Township,_Columbia_County,_Pennsylvania.JPG

yingmin

Mandarin Chinese
    Your map is wrong :) Both places where you have marked arrows on your map will have both eastbound traffic and, on the other side of the road at the same place, westbound traffic (if it is a normal road with traffic going in each direction). In many roads with traffic going in each direction, there is a strip between them (the median) that is raised and cars cannot drive on it. That is where the people were standing.

A quick Google leads me to the source (The World of Lore: Dreadful Places By Aaron Mahnke) and reveals the writer is specifically referring to the median on the Pocahontas Parkway (a divided highway with a median strip and grass) - the map in the OP is spurious :(. The arrow indicates Mill Road and the x is somewhere on the median. The text in the book before the OP's quote explaoins the situation (and is a good example of why the forum requests the source for EVERY quote:))

View attachment 34708
    oh, how wonderful! That's very nice of you to correct my mistakes.
    Thank you very much!!!:) Now I can have a clear image of where they are standing.
    and YES, it comes from The World of Lore: Dreadful Places By Aaron Mahnke. I've been listening to his podcast for one year, trying to improve listening. And then I will read the book to avoid any misunderstanding.
    Thanks again for your help:)

yingmin

Mandarin Chinese
    The yellow roadway above the X is the westbound lanes of Route 895 (Pocahontas Pkwy).
    The yellow roadway below the X is the eastbound lanes of Route 895.

Together they make up the whole road named Route 895. The median is the area between those two parts of 895.

The grassy area in the middle is the median. (It looks like it's winter and the grass is brown and dormant.)
    View attachment 34715
    Thank you, kentix!:)
    You make it all clear to me.
    I was so wrong about the westbound lanes and eastbound lanes bit...:oops:

< Previous | Next >