A question on the use of "the" and "s"

Discussion in 'English Only' started by BellyBow, Oct 14, 2015.

1. BellyBow New Member

China-Mandarin
    Hello,
    Recently I read a quote "I’m going to give you 9.6 for technique, 0.0 for choice of victim."

My question is that why we don't add "the" in front of "technique" and "victim"? Also, why aren't these two nouns in their plural forms?

Thank you!

2. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England
    Hi there.
    Where did you come across this? We like some context to help us make sense of your text / question.

3. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    Welcome, BelloBow. :)

These numbers are like scores in Olympic ice-skating or like scores in a dance competition.

Articles are often elided in such contests.

4. BellyBow New Member

China-Mandarin
    Sorry if didn't put enough context. I quoted this from an episode of the drama Better Call Saul where the main character was blackmailed by a group of youngsters. He said this with sarcasm.

5. BellyBow New Member

China-Mandarin
    Thanks in advance for all the help.

6. perpend

perpend Banned

American English
    The sarcasm could be in the comparing the blackmailing to figure-skating or competitive dancing.

7. BellyBow New Member

China-Mandarin
    Thanks for replying. I understand the sarcasm, but the grammar in this sentence is what really confuses me here..

8. Keith Bradford

Keith Bradford Senior Member

Brittany, NW France
    English (Midlands UK)
    The two "categories" for marking are technique, and choice of victim.

To say "I’m going to give you 9.6 for technique, 0.0 for choice of victim." is like a schoolteacher saying "I’m going to give you 96% for French, 32% for chemistry". There's no reason at all to use plurals or articles.

9. suzi br

suzi br Senior Member

Cheshire
    English / England

This is the answer. In such contests the scores are given this way, conventionally, so if you are copying the style for some other purposes you follow the conventions.