A Question Regarding "It's time to" and "It's my first time doing"

Shingho

Chinese-Mandarin
Hi there! I am currently confused by the usage of "to do" and "doing."

So when we say "It is time to do my job," we will use "to do." Whereas if it is "It's my first time doing this with him," we will use present progressive tense.

Is there a grammatical explaination for these two cases? I know for most of the time, native speakers can just detect the error from sentence sounds...

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    "It is time (for me) to do my job." The "for me" is implied, and "me" is the subject of the verb "to do". Also implied is the idea "start": I am not doing my job, and it is time for me to start doing my job.

So this statement can be said using "start to do" or "start doing". There is no difference in meaning.

That is a very common situation: the same thought can be expressed using a "to do" sentence or a "doing" sentence. They are just different syntax forms.

Shingho

Chinese-Mandarin
    "It is time (for me) to do my job." The "for me" is implied, and "me" is the subject of the verb "to do". Also implied is the idea "start": I am not doing my job, and it is time for me to start doing my job.

So this statement can be said using "start to do" or "start doing". There is no difference in meaning.

That is a very common situation: the same thought can be expressed using a "to do" sentence or a "doing" sentence. They are just different syntax forms.
    Thanks for your reply!

< Previous | Next >