a quizz/test/pop quiz/exam

• fernandotorres

India -Marathi and English
    Really, it's the choice of the user. I believe that "exam" is used more often with "entrance".
    I disagree with you.test is the only word that fits,with the usage of the word "exam",you may succeed in getting the point across but it is always entrance "test"

rodoke

en-US; .us
    As far as I can tell, exam and test are interchangeable when used alone. In my experience, there are certain compounds where one or the other is preferred. Some examples I can think of:

Entrance Exam
    Final Exam
    Oral Exam
    Eye Exam

Standardized Test
    Placement Test
    Hearing Test

If you mix them up, you'll be understood perfectly--it'll just sound a bit "unnatural".

quietdandelion

Banned
    Formosa/Chinese
    As far as I can tell, exam and test are interchangeable when used alone. In my experience, there are certain compounds that where one or the other is preferred. Some examples I can think of:

Entrance Exam
    Final Exam
    Oral Exam
    Eye Exam

Standardized Test
    Placement Test
    Hearing Test
    Thanks, rodoke, for the helpful information.

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Actually, it depends on the speaker, the school and all that.

For example:
    Some teachers use "test" to mean smaller tests like a chapter test, and "exam" for big examples like semester exam, final example.

However, I have had teachers that use "exam" for all of these tests. Small tests were called "exams" big tests were called "exams".

I have had a teacher that used "quiz" for all the exams! Hehe, we're going to have a quiz. Everyone was nervous and then we got it and it was four pages long!

However, generally I think people try to use "exam" for something that is bigger than a test. A test is generally short, but an exam is longer (many two hours or more).

Synonyms for test:
    1. A set of questions or exercises designed to determine knowledge or skill: catechism, catechization, exam, examination, quiz. See investigate
    Synonyms for exam:
    1. A set of questions or exercises designed to determine knowledge or skill: catechism, catechization, examination, quiz, test. See investigate
    http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/t/t0124800.html
    http://www.yourdictionary.com/ahd/e/e0259600.html

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Quietdandelion,
    Please consider all answers here in terms of the variant of English spoken by the member.

In American English (AE), as has been stated a few times already, the most common usage is entrance exam.
    Test is not incorrect, but is used with less frequency in AE.

There may be differences in BE, CE, and other varieties of English. To call any of them 'wrong' would be a mistake. These differences are usually a matter of what is most idiomatic in the various standard forms of the language.

swayingrass

Banned
    Taiwanese
    Our math teacher gave us a quiz this morning.

Hi,
    Is "quiz" in the above interchangeable with "test/pop quiz/exam?" Thanks.

Silver Sapphire

Spanish - Ecuador (Castellano)
    Hi there.

Well, "pop quiz" and "test", "exam", "quiz" are not the same.

"Pop quiz" specifically means a quiz that's given without any previous notice... a "surprise" quiz.

"Test", "exam", "quiz" are synonymous (well, in theory at least, but I don't want to confuse you)

roxcyn

USA
    American English [AmE]
    Quiz is usually a shorter form of a test/exam.

If it's a "pop" quiz/test/exam then they are unannounced (a surprise to the students).

Generally an exam is longer than a test. A test may be over a chapter, but an midterm exam or a final exam may be over many chapters (midterm exam) or the whole book (final exam).

Some teachers use test/exam interchanable as synonyms. They are very similar.

I had one professor call his tests "quizzes"...so in different contexts you may have a teacher do that.

Pablo

una madre

Western Canada English
    I agree with Silver Sapphire that a "pop quiz" is always a surprise quiz (no advance notice, so you haven't studied for it). It is generally not a long nor heavily weighted test.

As for the other terms (quiz/test/exam) I use them in a bit of a hierarchy according to length of the test, amount of material covered and importance in a student's overall grade. Important tests at critical phases in high school and University are always called exams.

Hope this helps.

polar44

Banned
    Korean
    What are the differences between test, exam and quiz?

I used to say that I have to take a TOEFL test, but one friend said it should be TOEFL exam. Is he right? What about midterm exam or final exam? In such case, can I say that I have a midterm test or final test? Very confusing!! Need your help!!

Yôn

English
    A 'test' covers both 'quiz' and 'exam'.

A 'quiz' is usually a short test. An 'exam' is usually a longer test.

Certain fixed expressions will use one of these forms over the other, e.g., a 'pop quiz', a 'mid-term exam', etc.

I am not certain, but it may be that in those contexts, TOEFL is better paired with 'exam' (perhaps because the word 'test' is already in the acronym?).

As a side, 'toefl exam' yields 1,950,000 results on Google, while 'toefl test' yields 1,550,000.

As to your last couple of questions, the answer is, no; 'mid-term test' and 'final test' are not what native speakers who are using these terms in the context of the education system would say. Of course, no one would ever be confused about what you were talking about; if you did use 'test', it would just sound strange.

I hope this offers some insight.

Jon

Yôn

English
    It doesn't matter. These words are not as exclusive as you think. As long as you do not call a 60 question test a 'quiz' you will be fine. As long as you use the right term in fixed expressions like 'mid-term exam', etc. you will be fine.

As for your most recent example, like I said, either one is fine. I'd use 'test' because I am a less formal sort of guy, but it really does not matter.

Anything else?

Jon

BODYholic

Chinese Cantonese
    What are the differences between test, exam and quiz?

I used to say that I have to take a TOEFL test, but one friend said it should be TOEFL exam. Is he right? What about midterm exam or final exam? In such case, can I say that I have a midterm test or final test? Very confusing!! Need your help!!
    In my country, there are distinct differences between a test and an examination. For academic institution, tests are conducted frequently (monthly for example) but the scope is typically limited to the current module/topics that one have just learned.

On the other hand, we have comparatively fewer examinations within the same academic year. Typically, two or, perhaps, three at most . They are usually aligned with the end of semesters/academic year.

Suffice it to say, examinations carry higher weightage (For UK/US readers: weighting), than tests, toward the final scores.

kratsy

English - United States
    Thinking back to my standardized test days, I'm realizing that you don't need to say test or exam after TOEFL. It is perfectly fine to say "I'm going to take the TOEFL on Friday" or "I'm taking the GREs tomorrow" because "test" and "exam" are already in the acronyms, as has been pointed out.

Pentapoli

Greek
    The whole discussion reminds me of the way examination and test are used in medicine. The doctor examines but gives medical tests. So examination is more thorough than test. In eduction examination is something more formal, organised well ahead. Cambridge organises examinations for foreigners and so does Un of Michigan.

tomtompl

polski
    A 'test' covers both 'quiz' and 'exam'.

A 'quiz' is usually a short test. An 'exam' is usually a longer test.

Certain fixed expressions will use one of these forms over the other, e.g., a 'pop quiz', a 'mid-term exam', etc.

I am not certain, but it may be that in those contexts, TOEFL is better paired with 'exam' (perhaps because the word 'test' is already in the acronym?).

As a side, 'toefl exam' yields 1,950,000 results on Google, while 'toefl test' yields 1,550,000.

As to your last couple of questions, the answer is, no; 'mid-term test' and 'final test' are not what native speakers who are using these terms in the context of the education system would say. Of course, no one would ever be confused about what you were talking about; if you did use 'test', it would just sound strange.

I hope this offers some insight.

Jon

Hi. Based on Merriam-Webster dictionary "pop quiz" is AmE word for a short test that a teacher gives to students without warning:
    http://www.learnersdictionary.com/definition/pop quiz

How do you call such test in BrE? "pop test" , "surprise test" or something else? Thank you

< Previous | Next >