A quote from Soviet era Rusian literature

Sameer16

russian
I woul appreciate help with the refinement of the following phrase, which is a quotation from a popular Soviet-era book/.
"Счастье — не в тех женщинах, с кем хочешь спать, а в тех, с кем хочешь просыпаться"
My translation: Happiness is not about women you want to sleep with, but those you want to wake up with.

Any articles needed btw?

• e2efour

UK English
    It sounds more natural with the article (the women).

Otherwise your translation is correct.

If you want a reply from more native speakers, I suggest you repost it in the English Forum (but without the Russian text). But according to the rules there, you must ask about a specific grammatical point (the one about articles will do!).

pelageyia

Russian
    I woul appreciate help with the refinement of the following phrase, which is a quotation from a popular Soviet-era book/.
    "Счастье — не в тех женщинах, с кем хочешь спать, а в тех, с кем хочешь просыпаться"
    My translation: Happiness is not about women you want to sleep with, but those you want to wake up with.

Any articles needed btw?
    The happyness its not about the women you wanted to go to bed with, but about the one you would like to wake up with / ???

Madalica

Russian
    I am really not sure, but I would say: "Happiness is not about with whom going to bed but with whom waking up in it. Of course, using "with whom" is a bit strange.

Sobakus

The happyness its not about the women you wanted to go to bed with, but about the one you would like to wake up with / ???
    I am really not sure, but I would say: "Happiness is not about with whom going to bed but with whom waking up in it. Of course, using "with whom" is a bit strange.
    I'm sorry, but these are honestly quite awful and ungrammatical.

As for refining the original attempt, I don't like the preposition "about" there, I'd change it for "in":

Happiness is not in the women you want to sleep with, but in those you want to wake up with.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    I would say: "You find happiness not with a women with whom you go to bed, but with whom you wake up".

You can also say: "You will find happiness not with a woman with whom you will go to sleep, but with whom you will wake up."

Last edited:

Maroseika

Russian
    I would say: "You find happiness not with a women with whom you go to bed, but with whom you wake up".

You can also say: "You will find happiness not with a woman with whom you will go to sleep, but with whom you will wake up."
    I'm afraid the word хочешь is missed. It takes all sorts, of course, but usually it's one the same woman - with whom you go to bed and with whom you awaken.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    Yes, you are right -- the word was skipped somehow, but still does it really change the essence of the phrase? You could say:" You will find (more) happiness not with a woman with whom you would like to sleep, but with whom you would like to wake up." This sounds more cumbersome in English, than the previous versions I suggested. Does the Russian sentence sound smooth to you, or also slightly cumbersome? I think it might be slightly heavy as well.

Added: After further thought, I came to the conclusion that the meaning of the phrase with "хочешь" is slightly different, so the word really has to be translated as well.

Last edited:

Ahu Lee

Russian (Moscow)
    ...but still does it really change the essence of the phrase?
    Yes, it does.

... Does the Russian sentence sound smooth...? I think it might be slightly heavy as well.
    Yes, it does (sound smooth). But I'd change "с кем хочешь" to "с которыми хочется". I think, it will sound much better that way, i.e. "Счастье не в тех женщинах, с которыми хочется спать, а в тех, с которыми хочется просыпаться"

< Previous | Next >