A rather offensive synonym for 'take advantage of'

< Previous | Next >

mobin68

Persian
Hi all,
I'm looking for an expression that I don't even know any close synonym for. Take the following context for example:
' Imagine you want to become friendlier with someone you know. But you think if you get too friendly with them, they might think they deserve this much respect or intimacy while they don't.' So you say :' I smiled at him twice in the party and asked him to dance with me but he didn't. I'm not going to ask him again because he might.....'
And I was wondering if there's an informal expression or to some extent offensive for that.

Thank you in advance

• owlman5

English-US
    Why do you wish to say something "offensive" here, mobin? The situation you describe doesn't really make any sense to me, so I can't think of any good suggestions.

What are you trying to say? Do you think that you will seem too aggressive if you ask him to dance again? Are you afraid that he will try to kiss you or touch you if you ask him to dance? :confused:

owlman5

English-US
    I'm still puzzled about why mobin believes that this boy will try to take advantage this time. Why didn't this fear prevent mobin from asking the boy to dance earlier? This doesn't make any sense.

MissHeidi

Estonian - Estonia
    Hi all,
    I'm looking for an expression that I don't even know any close synonym for. Take the following context for example:
    ' Imagine you want to become friendlier with someone you know. But you think if you get too friendly with them, they might think they deserve this much respect or intimacy while they don't.' So you say :' I smiled at him twice in the party and asked him to dance with me but he didn't. I'm not going to ask him again because he might.....'
    And I was wondering if there's an informal expression or to some extent offensive for that.

Thank you in advance
    Because he might . . . have his way with me.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It seems to me that mobin68 meant that if she were at a party and saw a boy who she might like to speak to, she would be hesitant as her approaching him might give him "ideas" that mobin68 never intended.

I also suspect that "offensive" might have a cultural aspect.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    This is requires too much speculation.

I think we need more information about exactly what mobin is worried about, and what the boy might do.

Let's wait for further input from mobin.

Cagey, moderator.

mobin68

Persian
    Hi all,

Thank you in advance
    Thank you all for your replies,

The reason I need an offensive word is that we do have an offensive expression in our language which describes how someone acts in an unpleasant way after he gets too much attention from someone and in this situation the one giving him the attention might think they lose their self-esteem. I might have been to some extent wrong when I used the phrase 'take advantage of' because the person receiving the attention may not necessarily take advantage of the situation in response. Get ideas seems to be rather appropriate but isn't it the case with boy-girl kind of relationship?

mobin68

Persian
    Well
    I'm still puzzled about why mobin believes that this boy will try to take advantage this time. Why didn't this fear prevent mobin from asking the boy to dance earlier? This doesn't make any sense.
    In this context, you might be willing to dance with someone in the first place. But gradually you find out that you asking him to dance has given him too much confidence he does't deserve to have

mobin68

Persian
    Why do you wish to say something "offensive" here, mobin? The situation you describe doesn't really make any sense to me, so I can't think of any good suggestions.

What are you trying to say? Do you think that you will seem too aggressive if you ask him to dance again? Are you afraid that he will try to kiss you or touch you if you ask him to dance? :confused:
    I wouldn't say aggressive, but he might think I'll have a crush on him or something.
    Let me give you another situation.
    Imagine a friend asked you for money. For the first time you lent them some. But you might be hesitant the second time because this might ecourage them to ask for money again and again. This behaviour is unacceptable in many cultures and there is an offensive word for this in our culture.

Amin-med

Hi all,

Thank you in advance
    Hi mobin

If you're looking for a suitable equivalent for "سو استفاده کردن" in Persian, you can employ "abuse". Of course, "exploit" is also a good option.
    e.g.: You don't have right to abuse one's truthfulness.

velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    We can talk about someone "abusing my good nature/my good intentions". "Abuse" wouldn't fit in the OP sentence though.

I don't think there is one word that will fit all similar situations.
    I let him borrow money from me, but he took advantage of my generosity and kept asking for more/ abused my generosity by demanding more.

"Abuse" can have other connotations when we talk about personal relationships.

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    we do have an offensive expression in our language which describes how someone acts in an unpleasant way after he gets too much attention from someone and in this situation the one giving him the attention might think they lose their self-esteem.
    I suppose you mean that a girl who doesn't maintain some reserve or seems over-friendly may not be treated with due respect.

I think the suggestion in post 3 and the second one in post 4 are good. Also perhaps "He might think I am easy".

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >