a reason to believe

Discussion in 'English Only' started by csicska, Aug 30, 2013.

1. csicska Senior Member

hungarian
    Hello. What does "reason to believe" mean in the following sentence? Does it mean "something supported with facts"? Thank you.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/2010/12/believe.aspx

2. Sparky Malarky

Sparky Malarky Moderator

Indiana
    English - US
    "A reason to believe" is not in the sentence. This is a headline, and as such, it is an attempt to explain in very few words what the whole story is about. This story appears to be about why people believe in God.

3. csicska Senior Member

hungarian
    Thank you Sparky Malarky. And is it used in English often? And when would you use it if you wanted to use it in sentence?

4. Sparky Malarky

Sparky Malarky Moderator

Indiana
    English - US
    I don't think this is a common expression. I've never heard it in a sentence, unless something like "I have no reason to believe the shipment will be here today" or "I have every reason to believe he is telling the truth." However, it's been used in at least two songs. One says:

If I listened long enough to you
    I'd find a way to believe that it's all true
    Knowing how you lied straight-faced while I cried
    Still I'd look to find a reason to believe

This is from Reason to Believe, performed by Rod Stewart and other artists. Bruce Springsteen has a different song with the same title. There may be more.

5. csicska Senior Member

hungarian
    Thank you very much Sparky Malarky. It was helpful.

6. soj Member

english
    How would you translate: you give me a Reason to believe" into Spanish. In this case Im referring to the Rod Stewart song. Thank you very much,

7. Florentia52

Florentia52 Modwoman in the attic

Wisconsin
    English - United States
    You'll need to ask that question in one of the Spanish-English forums, soj. We don't do translations in this forum.