A reasonable question

jinxnao

turkey turkish
Hi, in a news bulletin of tv 24 french channel speaker says we now go to fas, the tourism hub of Marakesh....
So I think such a use makes no sense when you think it in view of grammar rules, Here it is as if Marakesh is the country and the Fas is the tourism city, am I right?

• michael_g

English (USA)
    "We now go to Fas, the tourism hub of Marakesh" is gramatically correct. It sounds like Fas is an area of Marakesh where tourists frequently gather. Another way to say this sentence is, "We now go to Fas, which is the tourism hub of Marakesh."

jinxnao

turkey turkish
    no no I wonder if the sentence I cited is true or not? You know that Fas is the country and Marakesh is the city,so do you say this sentence is true? It must be like this , We now go to Marakesh, the tourism hub of Fas,. So you see what I mean?

jinxnao

turkey turkish
    maybe I got it wrong anyway, Morocco is a bit confusing in my country since Fas is morocco ,and also fas, it is the capital city , lets be clear I wonder if there is such a use as :We are going to Turkey, the capital of Ankara,? Is it a true use? The capital Ankara and The capital of Ankara can be used having the same meaning or we must say just The capital Ankara?

JamesM

I think the confusion is that we don't call the country Fas. We call it Morocco in English. (I believe we call the city of Fas "Fez" in English.)

We are going to Turkey, the capital of Ankara. :cross:
    No, it would have to have to be "We are going to Turkey, the capital of which is Ankara" or "We are going to Ankara, the capital of Turkey."

jinxnao

turkey turkish
    yeah, it is exactly what I believe it must be , so thanks a lot, I think some people use such a silly way of creating relations with "of" but I think The capital of Ankara is not a true use, even some people use it so...

< Previous | Next >