a reluctant sigh

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from the story "The Mappined Life" by H. H. Munro.

I did not get how looks like a "reluctant sigh". I think she is reluctant to utter "of course she admits they should never do such things". Needless to say. Aunt does not get her point.

But I do not know what a reluctant sigh is. Reluctant is a adjective which should describe "sigh". That does not make sense.

Thanks.

re•luc•tant /rɪˈlʌktənt/USA pronunciation adj.
  1. unwilling;

Now if, when we had gone, people still associated our names with the magnolia tree, no matter who temporarily possessed it, if they said, 'Ah, that's the tree on which the Gurtleberrys hung their cook because she sent up the wrong kind of sauce with the asparagus,' that would be something really due to our own initiative, apart from anything east winds or magnolia vitality might have to say in the matter."

"We should never do such a thing," said the aunt.

The niece gave a reluctant sigh.

"I can't imagine it," she admitted.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    The niece gave a reluctant sigh. = The niece gave a sigh of the sort that indicated that she had, reluctantly, accepted the aunt's logic.

chong lee

türkçe
    I do not think they are equal.

The niece gave a reluctant sigh = The niece sighed reluctantly (not equal) she had, reluctantly, accepted the aunt's logic

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I do not think they are equal. :cross:
    I do not think they are the same. :tick:

Then I can help you no further. :oops:

Andygc

British English
    The niece gave a reluctant sigh. = The niece gave a sigh of the sort that indicated that she had, reluctantly, accepted the aunt's logic.
    I do not think they are equal.
    Yes they are. That is what the sentence means.

She gave a reluctant sigh = She sighed in a way that showed she was reluctant.
    He gave an angry snort = He snorted in a way that showed he was angry.
    He shed a sad tear = He wept in a way that showed he was sad.

She is reluctant to accept that "We should never do such a thing", but she does accept it - "I can't imagine it," she admitted.

< Previous | Next >