A Report/Document written at the beginning of an inspection

ouzhantekin

Turkish - Standard
Hey guys,

I am trying to come up with a term/word/phrase that would suit the following situation:

There is a purchase to be carried out. The product comes. Then we have an inspection. There is this document/report (whatever you may call) which is filled out at the beginning stage of the inspection procedure. How shall I call it? Obviously I cannot use something like the following as the title of that document: The Report Filled Out At the Beginning of the Insepction. :)

Just know that there are also some other documents to be filled during and after the inspection so I must highlight the distinction that this is the one to be filled out at the beginning of the inspection. I guess I need an adjective or a noun phrase which would mean "start" "begin" etc.

I have some proposals for this but not sure if it is pleasing to the native ears:

Start-up Inspection Report

Initial Inspection Report (this might mean that there are other examinations, not reports .s)

And the next stage of inspection is carried out when the inspection results say that the material has a defect or is unacceptable, therefore the manufacturer may demand for another inspection claiming that the previous one is not truthful. Just like going for an appeal after a court's decision. May I possibly call it a "Secondary Inspection". But I fear this doesn't convey the whole meaning I provided above.

Thanks in advance.

• heypresto

English - England
    'Initial Inspection' sounds good to me. Or, to use simpler language, (which is always better, in my opinion), how about 'First Inspection', which could then be followed by 'Second', Third', 'Fourth' and so on?

ouzhantekin

Turkish - Standard
    The thing is if I say "First Inspection Report" this amounts to saying that there is one report for this inspection and there are going to be more of them. There might be another inspection, that is alright; however, that takes place only if there is a dispute as to the result of the first inspection.

heypresto

English - England
    OK, if a second inspection will only take place if there is a dispute, it seems to me that there is no need to give the first one any sort of status indicator. Simply calling it the Inspection Report would make sense. Then, if there is a dispute, the subsequent reports could be the 2nd, 3rd etc Reports. Just an idea . . . :)

ouzhantekin

Turkish - Standard
    OK, if a second inspection will only take place if there is a dispute, it seems to me that there is no need to give the first one any sort of status indicator. Simply calling it the Inspection Report would make sense. Then, if there is a dispute, the subsequent reports could be the 2nd, 3rd etc Reports. Just an idea . . . :)
    I guess I didn't make myself clear enough :) I must give the first inspection a name because for the exact same inspection there is going to be some other documents to be filled out. Just think about it as having dinner: first comes the starters/appetizers and then the main course then the dessert :) ... So the inspection document for which I am trying to find a name for is "the starters".

And as to the other report/document, it is something that you write when there is a dispute regarding the inspection results. So it must be something like "inspection-in-case-there-is-an-objection" report. I guess I don't have to say that this sounds rather clumsy/redundant or even silly :)

ouzhantekin

Turkish - Standard
    I think I understand. Would "Inspection on Receipt" work?
    I guess I could go with that. How about the second one? I guess I'm going for "appeal inspection" as I also saw this on the same website I quoted in my previous reply:

"An application for an appeal inspection may be made by any interested party who is dissatisfied with the results of an inspection as stated in an inspection certificate"

ouzhantekin

Turkish - Standard
    How about "Inspection Kick-off Report" for the report written at the start of the inspection? I know kick-off is sort of informal but does it convey the meaning? How would you call a, let's say, song that starts playing whenever you start a program? Start-up song? I guess I am going all crazy about this.

heypresto

English - England
    'Kick-off' and 'Start-up' both sound inappropriate to me. I think I would still go for simply 'Inspection'. If there is then a dispute, there would be a "reinspection" called an 'Appeal inspection'. This keeps it all nice and simple.

ouzhantekin

Turkish - Standard
    =) I guess I have tired you out! ... I just need a word to describe that the document belongs to the first phase of the inspection. I hoped to have some brainstorming here but as far as I can see you (Thank God :) ) are the only one interested. I guess I will need to pass that part for now.

< Previous | Next >