A restless child who likes touching things and breaking them

< Previous | Next >

nktvnvn

Vietnamese
How would you describe such a child? I've looked at "unruly", "mischievous" but they don't seem to convey this description. How does "a destructive child" sound? Thanks in advance for any help.

• Cambria

Español de España / Catalán
    "A destructive child" sounds way too serious, in my opinion, as if he/she were the cause of several calamities, but I could be wrong.
    I'd go for "naughty", "mischievous" or even just "restless".

Cypherpunk

US, English
    Destructive child is quite serious. However, if the child enjoys breaking things, then he or she is destructive, perhaps even sadistic, cruel, or psychopathic. That type of behavior is usually a very bad sign.

On the other hand, if you want to say that the child has trouble sitting still, and he or she often breaks things (but is not mean, or doesn't intend to break things), then you could say the child is restless, clumsy, accident-prone, perhaps spoiled, not well-behaved, and can't keep his or her hands to him/herself.

nktvnvn

Vietnamese
    Thanks owlman5 and Cambria. "destructive" sounds pretty strong to me too. "naughty" is still general. A "restless" child typically doesn't stay still but he might not like touching things and breaking them.

nktvnvn

Vietnamese
    Thanks Cypherpunk. No, I didn't mean he has hyperactive disorder :). How about "unruly" or "wayward"?

Cypherpunk

US, English
    Unruly would certainly work. Wayward has literary and religious significance in English, and it would imply that the child has left home and gotten in serious trouble. If you are curious about this, look up the phrase wayward son. Poorly behaved and unable to keep his hands to himself both imply a child who gets into trouble but isn't mean-spirited.

< Previous | Next >