a restroom/hall pass

csicska

hungarian
Hello. Could you please tell me if kids in schools (when they want to go to the bathroom during the class) raise their hands and ask something like "May I get a pass to the bathroom?" and if their teachers allow, they are "giving them a restroom/hall pass" (not sure if "hall pass" and "bathroom pass" are the same)? Thank you.

May I get a pass to the bathroom? How many of you hate that question? Writing passes wastes too much time out of instruction.

I have a permanent restroom/hall pass.

reddit.com

• dojibear

English - Northeast US
    When I was in school (grades 1 to 12) students were not permitted to walk the halls (except for the few minutes between classes). So you got a "hall pass" from the teacher, if you needed to leave class for any reason, to allow you to be in the halls. The pass might say "bathroom" or "principal's office" or some other thing.

I do not know if this is still the standard rule in US schools.

csicska

hungarian
    Thank you dojibear. So from your post it seems that a teacher actually writes something on a paper to allow a student be outside his/her class rather than just verbally allowing them to do so. Does the question "May I get a pass to the bathroom?" then mean "May I get a paper stating that I'm allowed to go to the bathroom in case someone asks me why I'm not in the class"?

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    I expect there's lot of variation in the English speaking world. I've never heard that question before. When I was in primary school, we used to say, 'Can I go to the toilet, please?' which the teacher would correct to 'May I go to the toilet, please?'

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I'm sure there's a lot of variation. My school had pre-printed hall passes, so the teacher didn't have to write anything. But yes, the teacher could not just give verbal permission. How would the hall monitors know that she had said okay?

Hall monitor: a student with an armband, assigned to watch the halls for students who should not be there during class.

"May I get a pass to the bathroom?"
    That's as good as anything else. There are probably many ways to ask permission to go to the bathroom.

< Previous | Next >