a retirement-level settlement

Geralt of Rivia

Turkish
"In return I told him if he ever needed a lawyer, he should call me. And here we are.”
“That’s a sweet story,” Davidson said, putting down the tablet.
“I suppose it is,” Schwartz said. “Especially because now I’m going to give my client a happy ending to this particular problem. Which will either be his freedom, or a retirement-level settlement from both the Metro Police Department and the FBI. Your call, Captain, Agent Vann. Tell me what it will be.”

Lock In - John Scalzi

Does anybody know what that "retirement-level settlement" means?

• Geralt of Rivia

Turkish
    It seems to me that "retirement-level settlement" here refers to a sum of money so large, it could carry the client through his/her retirement comfortably, with no financial worries.
    So do you mean that lawyer says he and his client should receive some money in compensation?

PS: The lawyer thinks it's wrong to put his client in an interrogation room, which is probably linked to here.

So do you mean that lawyer says he and his client should receive some money in compensation?
    His client would be receiving the settlement, or compensation, and presumably the lawyer would be paid from that sum of money as well. But the settlement goes specifically to the client. The lawyer is telling Davidson that either his client gets to go free, or that his client gets a huge sum of money (a settlement). The client may go free in addition to receiving the settlement, but I would need more context to say that for sure.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    The point is that the lawyer is asking the Captain and FBI Agent Vann to release his client (set his client free). If that happens, fine. If that does not happen, the lawyer will start legal action that will, the lawyer believes, end with a very large financial settlement from the Metro Police Department and the FBI to the client as well as the client's freedom when the trial is over. In the U.S., lawyers often receive a percentage of such settlements.

< Previous | Next >