A rhino in full charge can reach speeds up to

regal

French
Hello!
"A rhino in full charge can reach speeds up to 40 mph"
Does "in full charge" here have anything to do with charging or does it just mean "at its maximum speed"?
Thanks in advance.

• Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello!
    "A rhino in full charge can reach speeds up to 40 mph"
    Does "in full charge" here have anything to do with charging or does it just mean "at its maximum speed"?
    Thanks in advance.
    It's suggesting, I think, that it is at its maximum speed when it is 'in full charge', i.e.charging as hard as it can - of a horse and a lot of other animals we say 'flat out', ('belly to the ground' is the equivalent French expression, I think). So the answer to your question seems to be yes on both counts.

out2lnch

English-Canada
    I think the author mentions charge specifically, because that is likely the time that maximum speed is reached. I don't think rhinos attain maximum speed for any other reason (probably not too many natural predators). The use of 'in full charge' then is not only indicating that this is the maximum speed, but also the conditions whereby it would be reached. It also stresses the fact that an animal that appears to be a lumbering hulk can go quite quick if he wants to trample you :)

< Previous | Next >