a richness still intact

arietenata

italian
Hi there,

Did I understand it right?

The narrator ( it's a She) is describing her complicated feeling toward her lover and says how she wanted him next to her and away from her.
"... as though the fact of leaving him out, having him next to me but behind me, only increased my sense of how close to me he was, a richness still intact." from The End of The Story by Lydia Davis, P. 78

Considering that she is recalling and remembering everything about him now after a long time, does the highlighted part mean that she still feels so?

Thanks in advance.

• gramman

I'd say it could very well mean that, and I suppose it probably does, but it strikes me as meaning that her memory of that feeling is still clear. I figure I get that from her description of "how close to me he was."

arietenata

italian
    < Threads merged. Cagey, moderator >

Hi there,

" Yet the fact of leaving him out so pointedly, at these times, also made me more intensely aware of him at my side either sitting silent, stunned by my rudeness, and listening to the conversation or thinking his own thoughts, or overlooking my rudeness and talking to the person on his other side, so that mingled with my uneasiness at what I was doing was an intensified pleasure in his proximity, as though the fact of leaving him out, having him next to me but behind me, only increased my sense of how close to me he was, a richness still intact."
    The End of The Story by Lydia Davis, p.78

I just like to know the meaning of the last part, but I really couldn't find a way to make it shorter.

Does it mean that this richness, at the present time, is still intact?
    or it has some other meaning?

So many thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >