a ripe old age

NewAmerica

Banned
Mandarin
What is "a ripe old age"? 60-80 years old?

Thanks in advance
A Rare Success against Alzheimer's

A gold-standard clinical trial provides evidence that diet, exercise and an active social life can help prevent cognitive decline
  • More people are reaching a ripe old age than ever before. Life expectancy has increased from 45 years in the early 1800s to more than 80 today in most European countries and in Japan, Canada and Australia, among other nations.

Source

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    There is no scientific definition. Tradition and the Bible say that a "normal" life-span is 70 years, so I suppose that "a ripe old age" is more than 70, probably much more.

Retired-teacher

British English
    I wouldn't think of saying that someone had reached a ripe old age until at least 80 (and even that may be too low these days).

Egmont

English - U.S.
    I will be 75 in a few months. I don't think I'll consider myself to have reached a "ripe old age" until I am at least 85, probably 90.

My grandchildren - and, by then, probably my great-grandchildren - may feel differently, of course.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    Life expectancy has increased from 45 years in the early 1800s to more than 80 today in most European countries and in Japan, Canada and Australia, among other nations.
    The sentence following this one says: "In fact, if the trend continues, a majority of babies born in these countries will live past their 100th birthday."

I think the answer is given in the blurb. In their own words, they see it currently as anyone over 80, and in the future they expect it to be anyone over 100 years of age.

< Previous | Next >