a rope climb up a rift

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
The sentence is from oxforddictionaries, but I've found the source:
Clamber over the false floor, and follow the passage through a short canal to a rope climb up a rift.
Manchester Hole & Goyden Pot

How do I understand the phrase in bold?
Thanks.

upd: or maybe a comma is omited: follow the passage through a short canal to a rope, (and then) climb up a rift.

Last edited:
  • owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Vik. A "rift" is a large crack or fissure in rock. A "rope climb" is some sort of rope ladder or arrangement of ropes that enables people to climb something that they otherwise could not climb. Your English is certainly good enough for you to put those ideas together and form an image of what a "rope climb up a rift" should be. Right?

Last edited:

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    Hello, Vik. A "rift" is a large crack or fissure in rock. A "rope climb" is some sort of rope ladder or arrangement of ropes that enables people to climb something that they otherwise could not climb. Your English is certainly good enough for you to put those ideas together and form an image of what a "rope climb up a rift" should be. Right?
    As I understand, the "climb up a rift" acts as the postmodifier of "rope".
    :)Am I right?

Myridon

English - US
    "Rope" modifies "climb". "Up a rift" modifies "rope climb".
    A rope climb that goes up a rift.
    A rope climb that goes down a ravine.
    From the Word Reference dictionary on the noun "climb":
    2 a place or thing to be climbed, esp a route in mountaineering

owlman5

English-US
    I think "rope climb" is a noun phrase, Vik, that describes something like a rope ladder. I think "up a rift" tells you where the rope climb is located. The writer assumes that you'll understand that you use the "rope climb" to climb up that rift.

Cross-posting with Myridon. :)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >