A.s.c.b.a.m.a.y.k.

HDP

Spain Spanish
Hi,

In a novel, at a certain time, one of the characters is chased in the night by "a bloddy great brown thing". A mate explains him that, almost certainly, it was his neighbour's dog. Then, the first one says: "A.S.C.B.A.M.A.Y.K."
There's no more context about this event.
Does (please, please) anybody know what is this?

Thank you!

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    It's one of those Great Universal Truths that every schoolboy learns at an early age.
    What it has to do with bloody great brown things in the night, only cuchu knows.

HDP

Spain Spanish
    And here I am without knowing one of the Great Universal Truths. Thankfully I live in a landlocked area!!
    I'll try to work out what this has to do with the dog thing.

T. Y. V. M, everybody ;)

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    It's much older than Adrian Mole.
    Close to where I lived as a boy there was a large lake, complete with swans.
    I'm not sure which of my contemporaries passed on this vital piece of information to me, but I know that I repeated it to many others. It's one of the things that every boy needs to know

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Is Adrian a relative of our peerless Matching? I only know the latter.

I do recall another Great Universal Truth: An ostrich, though its brain is about the size of
    a politician's brain a small plum, can break a man's leg with its kick. Thus, when an ostrich came running at me in the zoological gardens in Asunción, Paraguay, I ran like hell. Maybe I was confusing the ostrich with "a bloddy great brown thing".

Before this thread gets any more serious, have a peek at this.

Matching Mole

England, English
    Does it mean that also somthing very weak in appearance can hurt you?
    No, it isn't a proverb (if that is what you mean); it is meant literally as an "amazing" fact of nature (regardless of whether it is a fact). In any case swans are not what I would call weak in appearance, they are "bloddy great white things" and quite scary close up ;)

As for Adrian Mole, we are not related, not even the same species.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    And here I am without knowing one of the Great Universal Truths. Thankfully I live in a landlocked area!!
    I'll try to work out what this has to do with the dog thing.

T. Y. V. M, everybody ;)
    Incidentally, living in a landlocked locality does not mean you are protected from attack by swans.
    The most aggressive swan I ever came across was standing on the shore of Loch Lomond at Luss, taking exception to the dry crust of bread being offered to it by MrsP while I stood nearby peering at the scene through the lens of a camera.
    We didn't hang about to find out if ASCB etc, is true.

HDP

Spain Spanish
    Incidentally, living in a landlocked locality does not mean you are protected from attack by swans.
    The most aggressive swan I ever came across was standing on the shore of Loch Lomond at Luss, taking exception to the dry crust of bread being offered to it by MrsP while I stood nearby peering at the scene through the lens of a camera.
    We didn't hang about to find out if ASCB etc, is true.
    It's good to know, panjandrum.
    When I went to Loch Lomond I didn't see any swan, although, to be true, the cold was so intense that I hardly could open my eyes, so I wouldn't have recognized a swan if it had bitten me on the nose (or broken my arm). If I ever come back, I'll take your experience into account.

Anyway, thank to this forum The Ugly Duckling will never be de same for me...

Thank you again to all of you (and, by the way, my novel has nothing to do with Adrian Mole _or maybe the author is paying homage to him...?).

See you

HDP

Spain Spanish
    How could anybody be ashamed of reading Adrian Mole, se16teddy?
    In the past, I read The Secret Diary, The Growing Pains and The Cappuccino Years, and I don't know if you like them, but I do.

The novel that I'm actually reading is The Things and Thoughts of a Green Snake, and as the words "the things and thoughts" belong to a poem by Poe (I believe), it could be that the author's aim has been to parody a number of original books. I don't know, I have just a chapter scanned, for the moment. Don't worry, anyway; as soon as I have the whole book, I will let all you know what's the mistery of the brown thing, the dog, the sawns or whatever.

Bye

ayupshiplad

Scotland, English
    I think it's just a general English language joke...It's like one of those facts that you'll be told about 100 times a year because everyone who tells you it thinks that they are imparting some great fascinating fact that you never would have heard of before and never will again! I think it did start with Adrian Mole though, though it has been a while since I have read the books.

HDP

Spain Spanish
    everyone who tells you it thinks that they are imparting some great fascinating fact that you never would have heard of before and never will again!
    I think this is exactly what fits best with my context. Thank you, ayupshiplad.

< Previous | Next >