A sales organization?

< Previous | Next >

hossein31

Persian
Dear friends, I have some problems in understanding the following paragraph. I would be very grateful if you answer the following questions:

"some years ago, I was building a national sales oraganization. I soon discovered that it was easier to take over an existing branch than it was to set up offices, recruit salespeople, and train from scratch. I learned of a successful business owner with a crack sales team who was discontented with the company he was representing. I decided to recruit him and all his poeple for my business."

1. What is " a national sales oraganization"? What does it do? Does it consist of many branches throughout the country? or just a large building in a city?
2. What is meant by "branch" here? Is it a part of the sales organization or by itself it is a sales organisation? I mean does the author need to take over more branches or by just taking over this existing branch he has done his job and built his sales organization?
3. What is the role of the business owner with his sales team in the sales organisation? what is the role of the author (the organization owner) in the organisation?

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    "some years ago, I was building a national sales oraganization. I soon discovered that it was easier to take over an existing branch than it was to set up offices, recruit salespeople, and train from scratch. I learned of a successful business owner with a crack sales team who was discontented with the company he was representing. I decided to recruit him and all his poeple for my business."

1. What is " a national sales oraganization"? What does it do? Does it consist of many branches throughout the country? or just a large building in a city? It is a salesforce that covers the entire geography of a country. It may or may not have branch offices. The salespeople may work from their homes. The key point is that it serves a national, rather than local, market.
    2. What is meant by "branch" here? Is it a part of the sales organization or by itself it is a sales organisation? I mean does the author need to take over more branches or by just taking over this existing branch he has done his job and built his sales organization? This is a bad and confusing use of the word "branch". Branch is normally a short form of 'branch office', which is a local office of a national or larger regional organization. "...to take over an existing branch..." means to take over an existing operation which may be the one and only office of another company, and turn it into a branch office of the acquiring company. Sales professionals would understand the intent of this misuse of jargon, but it is not very precise.
    3. What is the role of the business owner with his sales team in the sales organisation? what is the role of the author (the organization owner) in the organisation?
    Your last question, I assume, refers to this:
    I learned of a successful business owner with a crack sales team who was discontented with the company he was representing. I decided to recruit him and all his poeple for my business."
    Let's take it apart, and see what it means--

There was a business owner. Her/his company was a sales organization acting as manufacturers' representatives. In effect, they were the salesforce for companies that made or distributed goods, but which had no salesforces of their own. The business owner was unhappy with his client, the manufacturing company. The writer you quote decided to buy the business owner's entire operation, or maybe the writer decided to hire the business owner and all of his staff.

< Previous | Next >