a saucer of cream

< Previous | Next >

chong lee

türkçe
Hi,
The quote is from the story "The Achievement of the Cat" by H. H. Munro

What does it mean "a saucer of cream " ? A type of dish?

Thank you.

Long contact with the human race has developed in it the art of diplomacy, and no Roman Cardinal of mediæval days knew better how to ingratiate himself with his surroundings than a cat with a saucer of cream on its mental horizon.

• chong lee

türkçe
    I thought it is a challange becouse of the phrase "to ingratiate himself with". I understood it as an adaptation. So to feed itself with a saucer of cream should not be an easy thing to do.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    It's not a matter of the cat feeding itself with a saucer of cream, but of getting people to give it a saucer of cream.

In order to do this, the cat has to ingratiate itself with its surroundings (to make itself agreeable to the people it lives with).

Barque

Banned
    Tamil
    no Roman Cardinal of mediæval days knew better how to ingratiate himself with his surroundings than a cat with a saucer of cream on its mental horizon.
    I know your question was specifically on "a saucer of cream" but I thought you might want to know why that comparison with a cat was used.

The sentence implies that Roman Cardinals in mediaeval times knew how to get what they wanted, especially by diplomacy and ingratiating themselves with people. It says (humorously) that not even a Roman Cardinal from those times was as good as pleasing people as a cat hoping to be given a saucer of cream as a reward (most cats are fond of cream).

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    The sentence implies that Roman Cardinals in mediaeval times knew how to get what they wanted, especially by diplomacy and ingratiating themselves with people. It says (humorously) that not even a Roman Cardinal from those times was as good as pleasing people as a cat hoping to be given a saucer of cream as a reward (most cats are fond of cream).
    :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >