A screw and two chicks

ODRM

Spanish - Mexico
Hola, me estoy trabajando en una traducción de un libro de 1860 y la palabra chick me está dando problemas para traducir.

La oración es la siguiente:

“One of the feet, G, of the compass is fixed in the case by a screw, H, and two chicks...”

Por el contexto, entiendo que es algo como un tornillo o un clavo que sirve para evitar que se mueva un objeto. Lo que quiero saber es si hay una palabra o término exacto para chick en este caso.

• fenixpollo

American English
    Parece una palabra especializada y/o ya antigua, y no se entiende sola. ¿Puedes mostrarnos la oración completa, por favor, y darnos más detalles acerca del libro?

ODRM

Spanish - Mexico
    Claro.

El libro es del año 1860. Se llama New and Complete Clock and Watchmaker’s Manual por M. L. Booth.

Esta oración está en la página 210 del libro. El párrafo relevante es el siguiente:

“Figure 6 shows the mechanism as disclosed by the removal of the dial. One of the feet, G, of the compass is fixed in the case by a screw, H and two chicks. The other foot, F, is movable; it carries within the case an arm of a lever, K, whose centre of motion is at the point, I.”

ODRM

Spanish - Mexico
    That would certainly make things easier.

Here’s the diagram the paragraph is about, the only problem is that these “chicks” are not marked anywhere.
    56D4814B-7C7C-4EAB-A0C7-11EE0C7C3586.png

gengo

American English
    It is definitely not an error, since that book uses the word "chick" 16 times. In one place it says that the chicks secure a cock and keep it from turning.

However, I suspect that chick is a variant of the word chuck or chock. The Oxford dictionary says that chuck is a "late 16th century alteration of chick." It also says that chuck is a "late 17th century variant of chock; see also chunk."

It seems to me that "chock" makes the most sense here, having read the other contexts in which the word "chick" is used in your book. A chock is something that stops the movement of another part.

< Previous | Next >