a sea of alone

mohsen.amiri

persian
Hi
One of last Hitchcock's statements (near his death) is: 'I am ... I ... a sea of ... alone.'
Is 'sea' poetic here or not and you (in English language) use it in normal talks? In my language we use 'sea of alone' as a poetic sentence not a colloquial sentence (which is used in daily talks).
What is your conception of 'sea of alone' from this point?

• velisarius

British English (Sussex)
    There seems to be a lot of ellipsis there, I'd hardly call it a statement.

"I am...a sea...of...alone" - perhaps he wanted to say something else but couldn't get the words out. I wouldn't assume that "a sea of alone" is what he meant. It looks more like "a sea of (something), alone".

More context might help. Was he actually dying when he said that?

mohsen.amiri

persian
    Yes, after a little he died.
    From the rest of this chapter of the book (Dark side of genius. P. 551), it seems to be himself alone. But if you has another idea, let me know it.

Barque

Tamil
    I asked you for the author because giving the source is a forum rule and it's incomplete with just the book's name but not the author's.

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    It looks as though "alone" might refer to wanting to be left alone:
    '.....Robertson, Hitchcock's personal secretary was left without provision for employment or means of sustenance. "Leave me alone" he told her on the last day. "I am...I...a sea of...alone."' [p551. The Dark Side of Genius, by Donald Spoto.]

To me, it seems he was tired/confused and wanted to be left alone. If he was close to death he may have had difficulty thinking or speaking.

In part, I think this is an age-old attempt to try to attribute great meaning to the final words of famous people. In this instance it's like poetry - it's whatever you want it to mean. e.g. He could have meant "I am a sea of [confusion/emotion/anger, and all] alone.". However, he may have meant "I am a sea of [misery, why can't you leave me] alone."

He may have meant for all the words to have meaning, using dramatic pauses/emphasis in the style of a Shakespearean actor: "I am I [me], a sea of alone" = "I am all alone/a vast seascape of nothingness" or "I am cast adrift in a sea of loneliness".

It would be interesting to know what his personal secretary thought it meant, as she heard it directly.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >